We have a virus in our Clerk Office Computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
eyewebmaster-p40

I will try this on our clerk computer

Post by eyewebmaster-p40 »

Mikerowaved wrote:I see two options...

1) Backup anything you don't want to loose, reformat, reinstall from scratch. (Sometimes this is the easiest solution.)

2) Remove the hard drive and spin it up as a data drive on another PC. This can be done either internally on the 2nd PC, or by using an inexpensive IDE to USB cable. Scan it thoroughly for malware using at least 3 different programs*, then reinstall it in the original PC and scan it once again with Sophos to clean out any left over registry malware links.

* Possible free anti-malware programs include Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, and SuperAntiSpyware. These particular programs will not interfere with the 2nd PC's already installed antivirus program and may be easily uninstalled once they are done scanning.

Thanks for the tips I will try to do this when I will be in our clerk office. I hope I can be able to use this effective. I will update you soon about the virus. Thank you once again..
I'll be the best I can...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:I see two options...
There may be a third. If the computer is running Desktop 5.5 (Big blue menu screen that shows up for a few seconds during the boot-up), you can restore the C partition. If you've never done a backup, then it will restore to "as shipped". It will wipe out MLS, MLS data files, and more then likely, the MLS backups as well. However, everything in "My Documents" will be preserved since they're actually on the D partition.

After doing this, you'll need to treat it like a new computer - re-install MLS, call the area office to reset the security, re-install the security suite, etc. But it's much faster then reloading from scratch.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eyewebmaster-p40

Name of a virus infecting our computer

Post by eyewebmaster-p40 »

Sophos Antivirus can't remove this virus from our computer..

According to the report of Sophos Antivirus that is in our c:\autoran.inf
Virus/spyware: Troj/Taferf-D

Another virus found is a virus the details is "Hacking Tool"
Adware/PUA: PsKill

Please let us know if there some software we can used to remove this kind of virus in our computer system.

Many Thanks..
I'll be the best I can...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I found some instructions here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LakeyTW

Post by LakeyTW »

eyewebmaster wrote:Sophos Antivirus can't remove this virus from our computer..

According to the report of Sophos Antivirus that is in our c:\autoran.inf
Virus/spyware: Troj/Taferf-D

Another virus found is a virus the details is "Hacking Tool"
Adware/PUA: PsKill

Please let us know if there some software we can used to remove this kind of virus in our computer system.

Many Thanks..
Given the nature of this virus, I would suggest you backup your data and reinstall the desktop ASAP.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Many malware infections interlace themselves to tightly into the operating system that removing them can often result in a corruption of a critical file. I would agree with the suggestion that your best course of action is to backup critical data such as the MLS database as well as anything else that you need and then do a re-install of the Desktop.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I'll parrot the desktop reinstall recommendation since it would involve significantly less manhours.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Clerk Computers”