Sophos Won't Update

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I've had the same problem at least in our main building. All 9 units that share the building show the same error. Sophos is not updating and, when I try to force it, it goes through steps 1-3 just fine but on step 4 it says "Unable to contact server" and closes.

Two of these computers are brand new and I just installed Sophos on them. That's why I noticed it. It was normal (no error) but since it was a brand new install, I ran the update. That's when the error appeared. I've tried manually updating Saturday and Sunday, as well as restarting. I've since checked all the other computers. They still don't update.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

crislapi wrote:I've had the same problem at least in our main building. All 9 units that share the building show the same error. Sophos is not updating and, when I try to force it, it goes through steps 1-3 just fine but on step 4 it says "Unable to contact server" and closes.

Two of these computers are brand new and I just installed Sophos on them. That's why I noticed it. It was normal (no error) but since it was a brand new install, I ran the update. That's when the error appeared. I've tried manually updating Saturday and Sunday, as well as restarting. I've since checked all the other computers. They still don't update.
Confirmed: I just spoke at length with the Local Support Group and they have confirmed that there's an issue with the Sophos Server. I don't know of a repair time, but for time being the issue is not at the local level, it's in CHQ.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Got into my FHC tonight, everything updated automatically and nominally but one, when hovering over the Sophos icon in the system tray it said the update had failed. Forced the update, that did the trick.

So I'm not seeing the problem that CHQ and the others are seeing, things otherwise are normal at my perch here in Provo.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I suspect the FHC machines update from different servers then the admin computers. Certainly the install package comes from a different source. (Admin from mls.lds.org and FHC from LANDesk Software Portal.) I'll have to poke around.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

JamesAnderson wrote:Got into my FHC tonight, everything updated automatically and nominally but one, when hovering over the Sophos icon in the system tray it said the update had failed. Forced the update, that did the trick.

So I'm not seeing the problem that CHQ and the others are seeing, things otherwise are normal at my perch here in Provo.
I haven't had a chance to re-check any of the machines that had the problem so the issue may have been fixed. I'll try and get back to a building either this evening or tomorrow afternoon.
jeromer7

Fixed

Post by jeromer7 »

I had the stated update problem on my stake admin computer for the past week. It is updating fine as of this morning.:)
JLR
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I was only able to check one computer last night, but it updated successfully. It was one of the ones that was not updating Sunday even after a forced update so I'd also tentatively say the problem seems to have passed.
techgy
Community Moderators

Fixed

Post by techgy »

I would agree that the problem appears to be resolved.
I checked two computers in our stake offices today and they're both updating properly. Hurray!

CHQ - Thanks:)

Return to “Clerk Computers”