Sophos Won't Update

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

danpass wrote:Today, on our stake computer, I observed that we are also having this problem. I looked in the Sophos log and found that the error is occurring when the client attempts a connection to a church owned update server. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the server address and I won't be able to get back to the computer until next Sunday.

Since apparently this problem is not affecting everyone, perhaps one of the update servers is down, or alternatively, it is possible that incorrect configuration information may have been pushed out to some clients.
Thanks for the additional suggestion. I'm going to contact the support desk tomorrow afternoon and see what they have to say. I DID call them last Friday and they suggested a complete scan followed by a re-install of the Sophos package. After that effort we still had the same problem.

It's a very frustrating problem which I'm sure can be resolved. I'll get back to everyone tomorrow afternoon and report on what has been gained (or lost).
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:The firewall is working properly with no obvious problems. The VPN lamp is green.
Sorry, what I meant was to make sure you're still behind the firewall. Try going to [noparse]www.gambling.com[/noparse] and see if you are filtered. If not, then someone may have moved the connection such that you are no longer behind the firewall.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:Sorry, what I meant was to make sure you're still behind the firewall. Try going to [noparse]www.gambling.com[/noparse] and see if you are filtered. If not, then someone may have moved the connection such that you are no longer behind the firewall.
I can guarantee that no-one else has modified any of the connections, but I will check. I'm the STS and run a very tight reign on the networks in each building. Checking the gambling site is a simple check. I'll take a look tomorrow afternoon. Thanks
jamesm76

Post by jamesm76 »

We have the same problem (Sophos will not update). One of my ward clerks notified me today of a very long boot time (about 5 minutes) and also told me of the failed update. When I looked at it a few hours later, I didn't notice a long boot time but I did notice that Sophos was still not updating. The error message in the log was:

ERROR: Download of Sophos AutoUpdate failed from server [noparse]http://ldssr4.ldschurch.org/InterChk/SAVSCFXP-a/[/noparse]

It could be that other stakes use different servers (other than ldssr4.ldschurch.org) which could be the reason why some folks see it others do not. I'll try again this week and watch this thread for more information as well.

Thanks,
-James
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jamesm76 wrote:We have the same problem (Sophos will not update). One of my ward clerks notified me today of a very long boot time (about 5 minutes) and also told me of the failed update. When I looked at it a few hours later, I didn't notice a long boot time but I did notice that Sophos was still not updating. The error message in the log was:

ERROR: Download of Sophos AutoUpdate failed from server [noparse]http://ldssr4.ldschurch.org/InterChk/SAVSCFXP-a/[/noparse]

It could be that other stakes use different servers (other than ldssr4.ldschurch.org) which could be the reason why some folks see it others do not. I'll try again this week and watch this thread for more information as well.

Thanks,
-James
James,

Thanks for the info. Since you're also from California it's very possible that they have several servers supporting different areas of the country and that one of them may be having problem. The server you mentioned is identical to the one we use.

Interestingly enough we can ping the server but not get updates from it, so it's not an issue of the address being blocked.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

On that one mention that the Sophos updater in some cases is on a Church-owned box, that suggests the possibility that the official Sophos updates and the ones the Church has that are called for could even be out of sync. A wild guess on my part, but I've seen things happen with other types of programs that are in the cloud on occasion.

Just went through some stuff at the FHC tonight given that information, forced updates, found that usually four updates are sent down, including to the IDEs mentioned. The second one is quite large and takes a while even on a good DSL connection. The second longest time is the install of one of the 'packages'. You'll see what I mean when you get a clean update when you force one.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

JamesAnderson wrote:On that one mention that the Sophos updater in some cases is on a Church-owned box, that suggests the possibility that the official Sophos updates and the ones the Church has that are called for could even be out of sync. A wild guess on my part, but I've seen things happen with other types of programs that are in the cloud on occasion.

Just went through some stuff at the FHC tonight given that information, forced updates, found that usually four updates are sent down, including to the IDEs mentioned. The second one is quite large and takes a while even on a good DSL connection. The second longest time is the install of one of the 'packages'. You'll see what I mean when you get a clean update when you force one.
The failure for our systems is occuring on the 4th download. It displays the file that it's trying to download and in a split-second the download cancels and we get the same error message as you are seeing. As I mentioned we can ping the server so access isn't an issue.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I didn't see the same problem while forcing the updates that you saw, so it is not the Church box then. Something corrupted in the Sophos general install itself, or something in the firewall. Where I did the updates I was behind an old Cisco PIX box. I think virtually all clerk office installs use something that came later, as the PIX and the 501 were discontinued around 2005 and all newer firewall equipment installs after that use more recent Cisco boxes.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JamesAnderson wrote:I didn't see the same problem while forcing the updates that you saw, so it is not the Church box then.
But are you connecting to the same church box (ldssr4.ldschurch.org)?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

How would I find out that information while running the updates?

Return to “Clerk Computers”