New computers

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I found another side problem that is easily fixable through software upgrades on the Optiplex 780s due to some older versions of what was preloaded.

You will need to go in and update Flash and Java. In fact, I found that the Flash version installed was somewhat old, being at Version 7. The current version, needed for the full tree portion of new FamilySearch, is 10.1. The version of Java in the shipped machines is 1.6.0 and I'm unclear how old. Update that one anyway to be sure you've got the latest.

If the 780 is used for an FHC also, and you put Indexing on it, install it in Administrator mode, then update it in Patron (or user) mode. If you have it on the machine already and it won't open, you may have to run the support tool that does an uninstall/reinstall in one operation in Administrator mode first, then reload the program, then update in Patron mode. Information on the tool and how to use it is in the FamilySearch Indexing 'FAQ' tab on the Indexing site.

Return to “Clerk Computers”