online backup and file sharing "Dropbox"

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

1. Create a truecrypt volume.
2. Move the truecrypt volume into your dropbox folder.
3. Mount the truecrypt volume
4. Manipulate files
5. Umount the truecrypt volume

The encrypted volume - changed files and all - will then automatically sync to dropbox. Secure, not subject to dropbox hacking, accessible from multiple locations.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

aclawson,

can the mount and unmount be automated? Do I have to do that manually or can it be mounted each time I log into the clerk computer (for example) - I was playing around with it a bit, but never did get it to be more automated. I liked the AxCrypt that I was pointed to on this board. But if my dropbox folder can be a truecrypt volume, that might be a good option
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

IIRC you can set TrueCrypt to automatically log itself in, but you would have to unmount manually - and then re-mount unless you reboot your system but that would make the dropbox sync take longer. Keeping the volume unmounted unless actively in use is a stronger security practice anyway.
fourpear2

Re: online backup and file sharing "Dropbox"

Post by fourpear2 »

Done
antonichen

Post by antonichen »

Hello there, old topic! Ressurrecting it!

Any news on when the FW will let us access and download files from Dropbox? Lots of stuff changed from 2012 and I still see no reason for dropbox being blocked and other services like OneDrive or Google Drive being allowed. I know I could use them, but I already pay for Dropbox and it has more features than the others.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Nothing has changed. Storing member information in any cloud service is still prohibited.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
antonichen

Post by antonichen »

I don't know if you guys up there in the US have Microsoft Office in your ward/stake computers , but here in Brazil all ward/stake computers use LibreOffice or OpenOffice only and that is pretty annoying, lacks lots of functions and breaks common office formatting on files we make at home. Almost all members and clerks here are using their personal laptops and personal microsoft office licences to edit and print banners, flyers, agendas, blank forms, etc, since its widely popular and much easier to use. And dropbox helps us keep these files easy to reach, print and share with ward/stake leaders. So why is Google Drive and One Drive allowed and DropbBox isn't?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If I had to guess, it might be because OneDrive is packaged with Win 10, but everything else had to be installed as a deliberate act.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
antonichen

Post by antonichen »

But all PCs in my stake are still using windows 7. And I am not specifically speaking about installing dropbox or any cloud app on ward/stake PC. I'm talking about just opening my dropbox on my personal laptop using LdsAccess wifi and the firewall is blocking. But I can access my GoogleDrive and my OneDrive and download files without any problem, so I don't think it has anything to do with storing member information on cloud, just seems like a bug to me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At this point, I'd think most clerk PC are running Win10.

I'm not sure why it's filtered. OneDrive may share services with something that needs to be blocked.

Return to “Clerk Computers”