How do we reinstall XP?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
drepouille
Senior Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Plattsmouth, NE
Contact:

How do we reinstall XP?

Postby drepouille » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:55 pm

I probably missed this, but the new Optiplex 740 computers are preloaded with Windows XP Professional 2002 with Service Pack 3.

How do we reinstall this in the future? There is no disc in the box.

Thanks,
Dana

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:07 pm

These computers come with a hidden partition that can be accessed to restore the computer to the state it was in when it shipped. In addition, Desktop 5.5 will be installed by your STS. This will partition the harddrive and create backup images of the hard drive. If ever necessary, he's actually restore a previous image rather than reinstalling.

That's a quick answer. You'll get more soon, I'm sure.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14691
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:11 pm

crislapi wrote:Desktop 5.5 will be installed by your STS. This will partition the harddrive and create backup images of the hard drive.


Desktop 5.5 is no longer installed. There are no instructions for doing so on mls.lds.org, and the CDs are no longer shipped. The instructions for new 740s simply say to install the new Anti-Virus/Malware and Computer Management Software.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:15 pm

crislapi wrote:These computers come with a hidden partition that can be accessed to restore the computer to the state it was in when it shipped. In addition, Desktop 5.5 will be installed by your STS. This will partition the harddrive and create backup images of the hard drive. If ever necessary, he's actually restore a previous image rather than reinstalling.

That's a quick answer. You'll get more soon, I'm sure.
Installing Desktop 5.5 on Dell 740 computers is not required. In fact the instructions provided on mls.lds.org do not mention Desktop 5.5.

The hidden partition does not exist on new Dell 740 computers.

I have not checked the disc that came with our most recent 740s but I made the assumption that the OEM image for the computer was on that single disc. The computer we received in April 2009 had both the Windows Vista and Windows XP operating system distribution discs.

I guess I am going to take a closer look at that OEM disc.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

crislapi
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: USA

Postby crislapi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:17 pm

Interesting... In that case, should you need to reinstall windows, DON'T reformat the hard drive on your own. This will erase the hidden partition. Instead, when the computer is booting up, you usually hit F11 or F12 to enter the "restore" mode. It will walk you through the process of formatting your hard drive and reinstalling windows. You will lose anything that did not come with the computer, so make sure you save your backups and any other files you want beforehand and make sure you keep discs for any software you install.

drepouille
Senior Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Plattsmouth, NE
Contact:

No disc, but there is a Vista key

Postby drepouille » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:58 pm

I only opened one of the computer boxes today, and I didn't see any Windows OEM installation disc. I don't even have an XP license key, since the license key on the sticker is a Vista license key.

Maybe I should CREATE an image of one of these new hard drives before I do anything else. That way, I will at least have something to fall back on if one of the units can't even boot into safe mode.

So many missing pieces to the puzzle, eh?

Dana

drepouille
Senior Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Plattsmouth, NE
Contact:

I know!

Postby drepouille » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:21 pm

If I ever have a clerk's computer become unbootable, I can remove the hard drive, copy all the data files to a safe place, and then clone a hard drive from another unit onto the drive that was corrupted.

Then I will need to change the Computer Name, because that contains the unit number (LU-xxxxx). I will probably have to reinstall LANDesk to make sure the inventory is not confused, and of course reinstall MLS so we get the right ward.

No worries then...

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20754
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:07 pm

jdlessley wrote:Installing Desktop 5.5 on Dell 740 computers is not required. In fact the instructions provided on mls.lds.org do not mention Desktop 5.5.


The current set of instructions said we were to throw away the prior set of instructions. I would interpret that to mean that we are not to install Desktop 5.5 any more.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

drepouille
Senior Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Plattsmouth, NE
Contact:

XP and Windows 7 discs

Postby drepouille » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:23 am

Problem solved. The new FHC computers come with a Windows XP Professional installation disc and a Windows 7 32-bit disc. If an admin computer ever fails, I can use the XP Pro disc to reinstall, since it is a generic OEM, non-image, installation disc.

Dana.Repouille wrote:I only opened one of the computer boxes today, and I didn't see any Windows OEM installation disc. I don't even have an XP license key, since the license key on the sticker is a Vista license key.

Dana

drepouille
Senior Member
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Plattsmouth, NE
Contact:

Dead Admin Computer

Postby drepouille » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:51 pm

drepouille wrote:Problem solved. The new FHC computers come with a Windows XP Professional installation disc and a Windows 7 32-bit disc. If an admin computer ever fails, I can use the XP Pro disc to reinstall, since it is a generic OEM, non-image, installation disc.


As I worried a year ago, a branch's admin computer has become unbootable. I am going to pick it up now to see what the problem is. I hope the C partition is at least readable so I can copy all the data files onto another drive before I reformat and reinstall. Since the admin computer did not come with a Windows DVD, I will have to use the CFI DVD that came with the newest FHC computers. It's all XP Professional. I will just have to remove the FHC-specific programs and install the admin computer security and management software.
Dana


Return to “Clerk Computers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest