MLS dialup host not found

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aclawson
Senior Member
Posts: 712
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:28 pm
Location: Commerce Twp, MI

MLS dialup host not found

Postby aclawson » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:57 am

One of the wards is getting a "host not found" error when doing the send/receive over dialup.

Does anybody have a quick solution for this (before I start wading through the phone menus in the support line)

aclawson
Senior Member
Posts: 712
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:28 pm
Location: Commerce Twp, MI

Problem identified, working on solution

Postby aclawson » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:18 pm

When Sophos is enabled MLS can't connect (host not found error once the modem finishes the handshake and tries to transmit data). Disable Sophos and all is well. Many errors in the transmit file. We're going to try installing Sophos over the top of the existing installation to see if that fixes the issue.

The initial send/receive after the security software was installed worked, it wasn't until after I left (of course) that the S/R started to fail.

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:54 am

aclawson wrote:When Sophos is enabled MLS can't connect (host not found error once the modem finishes the handshake and tries to transmit data). Disable Sophos and all is well. Many errors in the transmit file. We're going to try installing Sophos over the top of the existing installation to see if that fixes the issue.

The initial send/receive after the security software was installed worked, it wasn't until after I left (of course) that the S/R started to fail.


I'm experiencing a similar problem with a wireless network in our stake center. Prior to installing Sophos everything was just dandy. Now I'm having problems with the desktops in the stake clerk's office. However, I'm not completely convinced that it's all the fault of Sophos. I temporarily reconfigured the Sophos Firewall to permit All Traffic and it didn't seem to make any difference. The next step will be to remove Sophos completely to see if things return to normal. The problem is not only with MLS S/R, it's killing the entire connection to the Internet.

Three other buildings seem to be OK so far and they were all updated within a few days of each other in the same manner.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

jvbutler-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:19 am
Location: The Woodlands, TX , USA

Postby jvbutler-p40 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:40 pm

aclawson wrote:When Sophos is enabled MLS can't connect (host not found error once the modem finishes the handshake and tries to transmit data). Disable Sophos and all is well. Many errors in the transmit file. We're going to try installing Sophos over the top of the existing installation to see if that fixes the issue.

The initial send/receive after the security software was installed worked, it wasn't until after I left (of course) that the S/R started to fail.


I have the same problem with one of my installations.. How did you disable SOPHOS? I could not find any way to uninstall Sophos either. Any help is appreciated.

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:42 pm

jvbutler wrote:I have the same problem with one of my installations.. How did you disable SOPHOS? I could not find any way to uninstall Sophos either. Any help is appreciated.

Sophos is not to be uninstalled nor disabled, as it is mandated on every administrative PC sent out to Church units.
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

jvbutler-p40
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:19 am
Location: The Woodlands, TX , USA

Postby jvbutler-p40 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:37 am

mkmurray wrote:Sophos is not to be uninstalled nor disabled, as it is mandated on every administrative PC sent out to Church units.


I can see the Sophos firewall is blocking the MLS transmission over dialup as it logs it real time. If we are mandated to install sophos on a church computer and it renders MLS useless, its worse than anything it is trying to protect in my opinion. Who can I turn to for help on this?

User avatar
childsdj
Community Moderators
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:51 am

Postby childsdj » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:26 am

I would call HQ Support if you are still having the problem. During the Sophos install I have seen a where you will be prompted at some point to block Java with the firewall. If you say yes, it may cause this problem. HQ support should be able to help if this happens.

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:52 am

I should probably clarify my comment regarding the removal of Sophos to evaluate an Internet problem. This would only be done under the direction of the Global Support desk and it would be immediately re-installed.

As to whether or not there's a way to even remove Sophos, I don't know as I've not checked.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20764
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:40 am

DJC wrote:During the Sophos install I have seen a where you will be prompted at some point to block Java with the firewall.


I've seen that with older setups, but don't think I've ever seen that with Sophos.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 am

RussellHltn wrote:I've seen that with older setups, but don't think I've ever seen that with Sophos.


Neither have I and I just finished installing the Sophos package on 11 administrative systems.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?


Return to “Clerk Computers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest