Email Address Synchronization

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lorraine1950

Email Address Synchronization

Post by lorraine1950 »

Me again, sorry. I'm the Stake Assistant Clerk-Technology from, well, anyway. I received a message from MLS Support, dated 22 Dec. 2009, about the MLS membership records being synchronized with LDS Account information. It says that emails in member records will be overwritten with the email used for LDS Account.
However, the latest MLS version has both family email and individual email addresses listed. Which will be overwritten? Suppose a family chooses to use their family email address for LDS Account rather than their (often times several) individual email address? Do I need to instruct Clerks to change membership data so that the email members desire to use for LDS Account will be their family address, or their individual address?
Is this the appropriate place to ask this, or should I send a message to MLS Support?
thank you, mods, for your patience with the black sheep.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

E&LDow wrote:However, the latest MLS version has both family email and individual email addresses listed. Which will be overwritten?
Most of your questions are answered in this thread: LDS Account E-mail to MLS. The basic answer is that it's only individual e-mail addresses that will be overwritten, and only if a member has an LDS Account.
E&LDow wrote: Suppose a family chooses to use their family email address for LDS Account rather than their (often times several) individual email address?
Since LDS Accounts are on an individual basis, not a family basis, this is not a decision that can be made on a family basis. If multiple members of a family happen to use the same e-mail address for their LDS Account, they would all end up with the same individual e-mail address in MLS.
E&LDow wrote:Do I need to instruct Clerks to change membership data so that the email members desire to use for LDS Account will be their family address, or their individual address?
Clerks shouldn't change the membership data at all for this issue. Remember that the e-mail addresses flow only from the LDS Account e-mail to the MLS individual e-mail address. So nothing a clerk does to a membership record will affect that.
E&LDow wrote:Is this the appropriate place to ask this, or should I send a message to MLS Support?
For general questions like this, you'll usually get a quicker response here. You're welcome to send a message to MLS Support, but I think those support people appreciate us answering questions here in the clerk community when we can. There are plenty of issues that can only be handled by Support, so it's good to let them focus their time on those issues where possible.

Return to “Clerk Computers”