New Security Software

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jshawut wrote:Russel, did you mean NOT to run the Anti-Virus software removal first?
No, run the Sophos first. Link
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aprayzr

Post by aprayzr »

I guess I need to type faster! Thanks for the input guys!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:The computer management software update took about 3 minutes - no reboot required.
If I look in the task manager after a few minutes and all I see is the drive letter of the flash drive as a running program, is the computer management software update done?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:If I look in the task manager after a few minutes and all I see is the drive letter of the flash drive as a running program, is the computer management software update done?
Unsure. I've been going to the "processes" tab and looking for the name of the program.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:If I look in the task manager after a few minutes and all I see is the drive letter of the flash drive as a running program, is the computer management software update done?

You have to look in the Processes tab, not the Applications tab. I'm guessing you are looking in the Applications tab, because that's the only place you could see the flash drive (Windows Explorer, actually).

Since the installer is silent, I always brought up Task Manager in the Processes tab just so I could be sure that my double click on the installer really did start the installer. If you look to make sure it started, then you'll know exactly what you are watching for to complete.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Since the installer is silent, I always brought up Task Manager in the Processes tab just so I could be sure that my double click on the installer really did start the installer. If you look to make sure it started, then you'll know exactly what you are watching for to complete.
Our STS has been using the Processes tab all along.

Is there any way to tell if it has installed after the fact. Our STS is not able to tell if it is actually running or not. I plan to watch one Sunday and see if I can help him figure it out.

Or does anyone recall the name of the program/process while it is running?

And I guess it does not hurt to run it a couple of times during these moments of silent confusion? [grin]
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I don't recall the name of the process. What I did was open Task Manager then run the installer. I noted the processes that began using cpu cycles. Another thing I noted was that the LANDesk Manager folder in START > All Programs was moved from its alphabetical listing location to the bottom of the list. That in of itself is not a good indicator but once it shows up at the bottom of the list the install is pretty close to being done.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The name of the process that I watched is the same as the name of the file I started:

"Local Unit Computer Management Software Installer.exe"

While there's a place for silent installs, I'd rather not be running them manually. I hope the church changes that in the future.

techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:The name of the process that I watched is the same as the name of the file I started:

"Local Unit Computer Management Software Installer.exe"

While there's a place for silent installs, I'd rather not be running them manually. I hope the church changes that in the future.
I had the occasion to contact support the other day and while I was on the phone with the tech I made the suggestion that someone put a short message "Done" or whatever at the end of the install operation. This is probably the first time I've ever made ANY install where no indication was ever given that the operation had completed.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
wpierson

Had Problems with the install

Post by wpierson »

I had some problems with the install of Sophos on our Ward computer, and here is what I found.

When running the install software from the mls website i received an error, after about 5 minutes of waiting "Cancelled Sophos installation because existing third party security software could not be uninstalled.".

My first thought was to check this forum, but I didn't find anything obvious, so I went to google with the statement above. I was pointed to a sophos knowledgebase "http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledge ... 35340.html". It points out that the problem is likely associated with the tamper protection flag on the software. However, the flag they were referenceing was greyed out.

Second hit on Google took me to this URL "http://community.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-E ... E8B306AED3". In case this link doesn't work for any one the content of the solution is as follows:

Have a look for the file avremove.log. It should be in the installing users temp directory (%temp% if you're logged on as that same user now), this should detail the product found. I would then suggest locating the application in Add or Remove programs and removing it. If it doesn't exist there. Take a look in the registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. Locate the Key representing the product and look for a UninstallString value. You can typically just run this, more than likely it will be a msiexec command.

Following these instruction I was able to find the unistall string for Symantic, which worked. I then ran the install file again from the mls website, installed worked fine.

Return to “Clerk Computers”