New Computer Policy

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
slmsz20

Post by slmsz20 »

Old computer drive swapping does not work with the 740 since it uses a sata interface for all its drives (Older computers used pata also known as ide). I ended up just pulling all the hard drives out of the computers and rotating them through a master station.

The 5.5 cds were made with a program called powerquest, which was a local company that competed with symantec on the disk imaging front (cloning/backup etc). If the church releases another desktop installer they would make it with a newer version of Ghost (symantec bought out powerquest and the version on 5.5 actually has the symantec ghost screen when it restores). Though I do not know if the Church IT department is even planning to send out Desktop installers anymore since the last one was sent out several years ago with no updates since.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JKELogan wrote:Old computer drive swapping does not work with the 740 since it uses a sata interface for all its drives
One has to find a suitable old computer to work with. I used a Dell GX 270 as it has an unused SATA interface on the motherboard to accommodate the hard drive from a 740, but comes with IDE CD drives. It's worked perfectly for me each time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”