xp recover - admin password

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:What I've done is use a USB to IDE adapter and just connect the old drive as a external hard drive on the new machine. An external drive enclosure could do the same thing.

I would strongly recommend you not try and do anything about reviving the drive in the old computer. If it's become this bad, it won't hold together long enough to do a recovery. It may even scramble the disk.
I agree with this advice, it's really inexpensive to do and it's safe.

I have an empty external drive enclosure I keep around just to rescue hard drives. The particular enclosure I own can do both SATA and IDE. This is the one I've owned for over 2 years and still going strong (although, apparently it is a deactivated item on Newegg.com now; it's got all the right specs to be very flexible): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817423006

As for your idea to use the DandC89 credentials, I think you may have it confused. This is not a password, but a username, and I don't believe it's an available username at boot time either.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:As for your idea to use the DandC89 credentials, I think you may have it confused. This is not a password, but a username, and I don't believe it's an available username at boot time either.
On a Desktop 5.5 machine, it's THE local administrator. You'll notice there is no user called "Administrator". That's because it's been renamed to DandC89.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The replacement computer will most likely be a Dell Optiplex 740 which only has the SATA drive configuration with no support for PATA (IDE) drives. Using Russell's recommendation of an adapter would eliminate the need for a third computer with an extra PATA connection. Just connect the PATA drive from the old GX270 to the new 740 using the adapter and transfer the files.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:On a Desktop 5.5 machine, it's THE local administrator. You'll notice there is no user called "Administrator". That's because it's been renamed to DandC89.
Right, and my point is that it is not a bootup password, but a Windows account username.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

OK, scrolling back, I can see you were correcting cougarfan. The password for the administrator is one of the mysteries of the kingdom. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”