Sophos updates

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Sophos updates

Post by jdlessley »

The new security suite, Sophos, is used in family history centers providing software firewall and anti-virus security protection. The problem I am running into is the updates for the virus definitions are not happening. We have Deep Freeze installed on the FHC computers. Part of the problem, I am guessing, is that Deep Freeze only has a script to run the Symantec updates during the mainenance period. Since Sophos is remotely controlled by Church headquarters I cannot do manual updates. There is no procedure to get updates from Church headquarters either. I called and talked to FamilySearch tech support and also to a headquarters support Deep Freeze expert. They both essentially said they are waiting on a script from some department (I can't remember the one they mentioned). Sophos has been the replacement in FHCs since April. Isn't this a bit of a long time to not have security protection for computers connected to the wide open Internet?

Is there a Church employee with more information on the matter? I am relying solely on the protection provided by Deep Freeze to keep the computers safe for daily operations. But I cannot go on-line for any software or operating system updates with the computers thawed without any protection.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Sophos has been the replacement in FHCs since April.
It has? I've only been aware of it being available since just before July. Maybe 45 days ago.

I'd suggest you post your problem over at the yahoo group LDSFHCTech.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:I'd suggest you post your problem over at the yahoo group LDSFHCTech.
A search on Yahoo Groups turned up nothing for a group called LDSFHCTech. I'm a bit warry of non-Church sponsored groups such as that anyway.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

It's just called FHCTech and it's been around for about 10 years.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:A search on Yahoo Groups turned up nothing for a group called LDSFHCTech. I'm a bit warry of non-Church sponsored groups such as that anyway.
Here's a direct link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ldsfhctech/

It's run by some guys in FH Support. It will get you in contact with the very people you seek.

Mikerowaved wrote:It's just called FHCTech and it's been around for about 10 years.
A good group, but different.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Since I have access to tech support through the FHC Director LDSMail.net account I used that. If past response times are any indication it may take from 3 days to a couple of weeks to get a response.
JD Lessley
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I received a response from FamilySearch tech support with good news. The Deep Freeze maintenance update utility, or LANDesk Updater, DPCustomCfg.exe, was upgraded from version 1.0 to 5.0 with the needed script for Sophos definition updates. Go to FamilySearch Supportsite and click the Additional Support Fileslink. The DPCustomCfg.exe file does not automatically update using LANDesk. I did not know this because I do not routinely go to that site except to install the latest version of LANDesk. By the way the latest LANDesk for FHCs is version 8.8 SP3 Build 11.

For those FHCs not using Deep Freeze, Sophos updates when the computer boots up and every four hours thereafter. If the definitions do not update after boot up then Sophos should be reinstalled by using the LANDesk Software Deployment Portal.
JD Lessley

Return to “Clerk Computers”