Upgrading existing clerk computers to Windows 10

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
derrickfulkerson

Upgrading existing clerk computers to Windows 10

Post by derrickfulkerson »

We have one machine that was never updated to Windows 10. Somehow they slipped through the cracks and now the Bishop is asking me to update it.

Is there a best practices guide or something out there that I could review before getting started?

I have updated a few of our Family History laptops but I haven't had to do any clerk machines yet.

Thanks in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Upgrading existing clerk computers to Windows 10

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to check the labels to see if there's a manufacturing date. If so, and it's over 5 years old, then I'd contact FM about a replacement. Depending on FM's current budget situation, that it may take some time.

As for upgrading an existing machine, the time for "free upgrades" is past. If there isn't any Windows 10 sticker on the machine, then someone is going to have to pay for the license. And I don't see the church paying to upgrade what's likely to be a machine that's due for replacement soon.

There's really not much to be gained by going to Windows 10. At least nothing that would warrant digging into the budget to pay for.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Upgrading existing clerk computers to Windows 10

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:There's really not much to be gained by going to Windows 10.
That's my understanding also. MLS is configured and tested for both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows 10.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”