backup

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nimebe wrote:Are the MLS backup files encrypted in a way that online backup services, such as carbonite.com, could be used without going against the policy to not upload MLS data to 3rd party servers?
Even though the data is encrypted, I think CHQ would still be nervous about sending it to a 3rd party server.

The Church already makes a backup each month. In all my years of doing this, with anywhere from 10-15 machines, I have only needed the Church backup one time. Going back 4 weeks (the Church backup) was better than going back 7 weeks (the local floppy diskette). In every other case in the last 15 years, I have simply been able to use the latest local backup, and even the most serious problem was solved in under an hour.

So, I am not sure there would be value in paying for a 3rd party server. I suppose if they really wanted to, CHQ could take a backup every two weeks. But I think they rely on us to cover anything more current than their monthly backup.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

nimebe wrote:I currently use a 3-prong backup strategy. 1) Backup to c: 2) backup to USB drive keep under lock and key at the ward building, 3) backup to my usb drive that goes where I go. ...

Other than training, I can not ensure that my brethren are using both 1 & 2 above..

We do something similar, and I agree that the human factor is the biggest risk. The same risk applies when relying on all users to plug in a USB drive for the primary backup.

If one can find a flash drive with a reasonably secure metal housing and a large enough hole, it could be semi-permanently intalled in one of the extra USB ports on the back of the PC, secured by a cable lock. That way, the default backup could always be made to the external drive, mitigating the risk of human error, and the security requirement would be satisfied. Designated clerks could still make periodic copies for off-site backup.
jwnice

MLS Automatic Backup

Post by jwnice »

With the transistion to CUBS and MLS 3.3.x, MLS no longer requires you to do a backup when exiting. It this going to be addressed so that it will be required again? I always remember to do a manual back-up, but I am going to have to change financial clerks in the near future and want to make sure that it is always done.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jwnice wrote:With the transistion to CUBS and MLS 3.3.x, MLS no longer requires you to do a backup when exiting. It this going to be addressed so that it will be required again? I always remember to do a manual back-up, but I am going to have to change financial clerks in the near future and want to make sure that it is always done.
This was discussed in the MLS Backup - Again? thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Clerk Computers”