Lenovo can only send out one part at a time? Really?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
Aczlan

Lenovo can only send out one part at a time? Really?

Post by Aczlan »

Our Stake Clerk's Lenovo M78 decided yesterday that it wanted to start shooting sparks from the motherboard. Not sure if it was a bad power supply or a bad motherboard, but it was exciting. As such, I called Lenovo this morning to get a new motherboard and power supply coming out.
My expectation (coming from having dealt with Dell and HP Enterprise support) was that they would send a tech with a motherboard, a CPU, RAM and a power supply (as those are the parts most likely to have been damaged by a power surge) and they would replace the parts motherboard, powersupply and then the CPU/RAM if needed.
Instead, I was told that their policy is to send out one part, so they are just going to send out a new motherboard and then if need be, the tech can order a power supply after they arrive.
I politely pointed out that if this was due to a bad power supply sending out too much voltage, they would then need to send out a second motherboard and a power supply but was told that they could only send out one part for a customer call and additional parts had to be ordered by the on site tech.

Aaron Z
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Lenovo can only send out one part at a time? Really?

Post by Mikerowaved »

Are you working through your FM group? They will usually replace the PC and handle any warranty repairs from their end.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

The FM group is currently very short staffed (IIRC 4 of their "mechanics" have retired, transferred or quit in the past month including their "computer guy"), so I am trying to avoid adding to their workload if possible.
The techs from the company who Lenovo contracts with for this area called yesterday and after our conversation, he is ordering a power supply because he doesn't want to burn up another board and have to come back out a second time.
He should be out today with a board and a power supply.

Aaron Z
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

Delayed update, but with the new motherboard and power supply, it is fixed. Was not excited about the tech who ended up coming out (he wanted to re-use the original thermal paste and seemed very inexperienced) but so far, so good on the repaired machine.

Aaron Z

Return to “Clerk Computers”