New install questions

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New install questions

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:
russellhltn wrote:When connecting to the network, set to "Public". (I think there's also a checkbox to make all future connections "Public" as well. - check that.)
I thought the installation instructions told us to set the network to "Work". I believe that allows peer-to-peer sharing of printers, without the dangers of Public.
Not the one I just looked at. It didn't specify the setting at all.

I'm not sure as you can open up peer-to-peer sharing without opening up a big can of worms.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davefranco

Post by davefranco »

Adobe Flash - do we really need this? You need this to show flash content properly on websites.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davefranco wrote:You need this to show flash content properly on websites.
Flash is built-in to Chrome and I believe Firefox. So you really only need to install Flash if you're using IE. I know Chrome is very good at self-updating and seems to work better with church websites. I think you're better off using Chrome as the default browser and not loading Flash as a separate program - whose history of self-updating is rather poor and the vulnerabilities are many.

That's the way I run my personal machines and have not run into any website I can't use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”