Crash

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
brofisher

Crash

Postby brofisher » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:31 am

We have a branch in southern Alberta Canada with older computer and older operating system.
It has recently "crashed ?" and no one can access using the user name and password.
With everything switching over to LCR are we encouraged to get a new computer for the branch?
Thanks

eblood66

Re: Crash

Postby eblood66 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:47 am

brofisher wrote:We have a branch in southern Alberta Canada with older computer and older operating system.
It has recently "crashed ?" and no one can access using the user name and password.
With everything switching over to LCR are we encouraged to get a new computer for the branch?
Thanks

Not everything is switched over. There are still several membership related things that still have to be done in MLS and all finances (donations and expenses) have to be done in MLS. So, yes, you still need a working computer.

When you say that no one can access using user name and password, do you mean that you can't log into windows or that you can't log into MLS.

If it's the latter then you may want to look at the Lost user names article on the wiki. Depending on what went wrong, you may be able to recover without much problem.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:53 am

brofisher wrote:are we encouraged to get a new computer for the branch?

Just to be clear, if it comes to that, the FM Group will supply you with a new computer. If the PFR and STS have been doing their job, you should get a new computer every 5 years. If the computer is still running WinXP, it should have been replaced already.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

brofisher

Postby brofisher » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback
it is still running XP so i will look into new one

brofisher

Postby brofisher » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:51 pm

I have received more complaints from other wards in the stake aside from that of the branch I have previously mentioned.
They also are having difficulty getting into MLS. They are able to get into the Windows operating system but not able to get into MLS. One Ward tried several times before it finally let them in. Just wondering if others are experiencing troubles. Just looking for as much info before I ask someone to drive out to check on it.

Thanks

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:41 pm

brofisher wrote:One Ward tried several times before it finally let them in.

That seems really strange. When MLS loses the user names, it's gone and not coming back without an intervention. I think you're going to want to witness this yourself.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

brofisher

Postby brofisher » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:22 pm

i am travelling out tomorrow

thanks everyone

Return to “Clerk Computers”