Windows 10 Upgrade

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade

Post by russellhltn »

bhm014 wrote:A ward in my stake has been upgraded automatically to windows 10. However, MLS isn't working anymore and is not compatible. How do we solve this issue?
Since you're one of the first to actually get a upgrade, you might want to call Local Unit Support on Monday.

Otherwise, I'd suggest downloading MLS and re-installing it. I don't see anything in the Release Notes where MLS was made Windows 10 compatible, so I'm not sure what the minimum version is for Win10. It strikes me as a major error if they released Windows 10 before MLS is ready.

But I guess that begs the question - was this an upgrade pushed by the church, or did someone get the email and upgrade using Microsoft's upgrade?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'm just waiting for the stake computer, since I don't want to start a bunch of wards until I know exactly how that's going to play out.
If the stake upgrades and then you turn on the rest of the ward computers, will they do the upgrade, or will they have lost the opportunity because they were not on when the upgrade was sent?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:If the stake upgrades and then you turn on the rest of the ward computers, will they do the upgrade, or will they have lost the opportunity because they were not on when the upgrade was sent?
In the past, phased roll-outs have always been phased "turn ons". I can't say as I've ever seen anyone lose their spot.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
bhm014 wrote:A ward in my stake has been upgraded automatically to windows 10. However, MLS isn't working anymore and is not compatible. How do we solve this issue?
Since you're one of the first to actually get a upgrade, you might want to call Local Unit Support on Monday.

Otherwise, I'd suggest downloading MLS and re-installing it. I don't see anything in the Release Notes where MLS was made Windows 10 compatible, so I'm not sure what the minimum version is for Win10. It strikes me as a major error if they released Windows 10 before MLS is ready.

But I guess that begs the question - was this an upgrade pushed by the church, or did someone get the email and upgrade using Microsoft's upgrade?
russellhltn's suggestion about re-installing MLS seems to me to be a sound idea. When installing MLS it also instals a version of Java compatible with MLS. The W10 upgrade might have disconnected MLS and this version of Java.

In two wards, same building, in a different Stake from mine, I discovered they have installed W10. This must have been done long before the official roll-out was announced. Unfortunately I wasn't able to login in to either to check. I'm presuming that MLS is working OK, as I'm sure I would have heard on the grapevine if they weren't.

My main concern is what antivirus solution, if any, is installed on these computers. I read somewhere that Sophus has had to be modified slightly to work with W10.
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

After a Microsoft Windows 10 install
You may need to set MLS.exe properties,
Compatibility Mode
Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

This note has just been added to W10 Setup & Upgrade notes in the Help Centre.

'Notice: Please DO NOT attempt to manually upgrade your computer to Windows 10. If you do, you will break various applications and security measures currently used on the device. The Church-approved upgrade process will automatically switch your computer to Windows 10 within the next few weeks.'

https://www.lds.org/help/support/win10-upgrade?lang=eng
bhfletcher

Post by bhfletcher »

I have seen MLS break with two computers in our stake now. The computers were upgraded through the Church-approved process, but then MLS would not open. We followed the suggestion from pete.arnett to set the MLS properties for Windows 7 compatibility, and then MLS worked.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

russellhltn wrote:

When this happens the only solution we found was to do a complete restore windows to factory settings (which fully uninstalls mls) and then downloading and installing mls. This happened with two clerk PC´s but wasn´t necessary in another two. Odd! But then we avoided having to add win7 compatibility to mls and didn`t need to call gsc.

Also something that happened in all of them was that sophos firewall stopped running and one gets those annoying popups saying update failed for sophos. I had to just stop the popups because they were coming up every 5min odd. So is it necessary to reinstall sophos too? after each upgrade?.

cheers, :shock:
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

Biggles wrote:This note has just been added to W10 Setup & Upgrade notes in the Help Centre.

'Notice: Please DO NOT attempt to manually upgrade your computer to Windows 10. If you do, you will break various applications and security measures currently used on the device. The Church-approved upgrade process will automatically switch your computer to Windows 10 within the next few weeks.'

https://www.lds.org/help/support/win10-upgrade?lang=eng

Ooops, just saw this after posting the above comment. But then again I`m not sure if that is only US based PC`s or is it worldwide?...

anyways, mls is running on all win10 pc's now and one was done back in march odd (becuase the clerk upgraded to win10 and then PF nor GSC had a win7 iso in spanish for us -parent language version- , so I left that spanish language win10 in place after getting mls to work with the restore to factory setting trick!) however I guess sophos isn´t really running at full capacity :shock:
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

charly3358 wrote:
Ooops, just saw this after posting the above comment. But then again I`m not sure if that is only US based PC`s or is it worldwide?...
All the instructions, in the Help Centre, would be worldwide unless stated otherwise.

Return to “Clerk Computers”