Wi-fi and Bluetooth on new computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
rsidwell

Wi-fi and Bluetooth on new computer

Post by rsidwell »

I set up a new Lenovo Tiny computer today. I noticed it has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capability, both of which were enabled. I didn't see the need for these to be on (we have wired Ethernet and a USB printer), so disabled them. Is there any reason I should have left them on?

I also hit a wall installing the driver for our printer since installing drivers from Windows Update had been disabled. I enabled it so we could print! Hope that's OK because I couldn't find the setting later to disable it again.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Wi-fi and Bluetooth on new computer

Post by russellhltn »

rsidwell wrote:Is there any reason I should have left them on?
None that I can think of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I also had an issue trying to obtain a printer driver on my laptop for a printer last night. I wonder if Microsoft disabled driver updates last night because the monthly Windows critical updates were released.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

rsidwell wrote:...installing drivers from Windows Update had been disabled.
Why didn't you just download the drivers from the manufacturer's website? I've never trusted Microsoft to have updated drivers for any peripherals.
rsidwell

Post by rsidwell »

mfmohlma wrote:
rsidwell wrote:...installing drivers from Windows Update had been disabled.
Why didn't you just download the drivers from the manufacturer's website? I've never trusted Microsoft to have updated drivers for any peripherals.
I tried that but couldn't get it to work. Installing from Windows Update worked great.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I wonder if Microsoft disabled driver updates last night because the monthly Windows critical updates were released.
I doubt it. But I do know the computers are set to get their updates from Church servers - which don't have all the updates. And probably not all of the drivers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

Russell is correct, " which don't have all the updates", headquarters only provides us with the updates that they feel we need to do MLS and FHC activities

Agree that "download the drivers from the manufacturer's website" is best method to get printer drivers
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pete.arnett wrote:headquarters only provides us with the updates that they feel we need to do MLS and FHC activities
I'll have to look more closely, but I don't think FHCs have any update issues. I think they update like "normal" computers. Although they are capable of getting updates pushed out by CHQ specific to FHCs.

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Please be sure to put back the Windows Update Settings. They are controlled centrally so we need them to be setup as the CHQ expects them.

The note above that the manufacturer drive didn't work for some reason is very bizarre to me. I always use the manufacturer downloaded driver.

Looks like a preference issue.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Clerk Computers”