Disable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
drepouille

Disable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall

Post by drepouille »

In the Help Center article, "Setting Up a New Clerk Computer":
Special Note: Make sure Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are disabled before installing Sophos
The article doesn't specifically tell us HOW to disable WD and WF. I am not convinced it is necessary to disable WF, since the Sophos Firewall installation should disable WF. Right?

I can understand disabling WD, because we don't want it running any services in the background. I just wish Sophos would disable WD during installation.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Disable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall

Post by russellhltn »

I think for Windows Defender, you uninstall it. The Windows Firewall is easy to turn off from control panel - but I'm not sure as I'd want to. I remember at one time finding it was "on" on one machine, and that it was the one doing the blocking. I'm not sure as Sophos is worth anything. I'd sure run a scan on that machine and make sure the ports are blocked if you're going with just Sophos.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
GreyWolf68

Post by GreyWolf68 »

In my experience, Windows Defender is usually disabled when another security program is installed. I have never found it necessary to uninstall it. In fact, I don't think it is even in the program list (Programs and Features), at least not by itself.

I can't recall the exact menu within Windows Defender, but if you go to Control Panel and select View by> Large icons or Small icons, you will see Windows Defender in the list. Clicking on it will either open it, or, if it has been disabled, tell you so.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

GreyWolf68 wrote: I can't recall the exact menu within Windows Defender, but if you go to Control Panel and select View by> Large icons or Small icons, you will see Windows Defender in the list. Clicking on it will either open it, or, if it has been disabled, tell you so.
Windows Defender > Tools > Options > Administrator then untick 'Use this Program.'

Return to “Clerk Computers”