Lenovo Tiny

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
Biggles

Re: Lenovo Tiny

Post by Biggles »

As mentioned in an earlier post, the downloaded image by default, creates just one account which is the pre-named administrator account.

As an aside, we've created an additional 'standard user' account for Missionaries. This is because in the past, some over enthusiastic Missionaries have downloaded and been able to install software (usually some form photo/video editing) that contains malware, which I as the STS have to sort out! The Wards that have had this problem, usually have had non 'techy' Bishoprics! We've rolled this out Stake wide.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

drepouille wrote:They confirmed that the image on our new Lenovo is not correct, and sent me an e-mail with instructions as to how to download and install a current image. I had already found those images in the Help Center last night, but I needed confirmation that the image that was shipped on the computer was wrong before I went through the trouble of downloading a new image.

We have seen many complaints about Lenovo images on this forum in the past few months.
The same Account creation name also affects the latest Dell image. As mentioned in a previous post renaming (that account name to Clerk), doesn't cause any operational problems. Just not as tidy as we would like.

I've just sent feedback to 'mhtech', requesting that if any of the images are updated, they post on the page where the images are obtained, what was changed and the date of change.
rsidwell

Post by rsidwell »

russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:I thought you couldn't rename "the" administrator account though.
You can, but I think you have to use a different method than usual.
Don't rename "the" administrator account; it shouldn't be used for normal use. The "Clerk" account should have administrator privileges, but to help prevent malware and malicious websites from making unwanted changes, you need to explicitly "run as administrator", or click a confirmation before those privileges are invoked. This is not done when running as "the" administrator, reducing the security of the computer.

But the administrator account should be disabled. I thought Microsoft disabled it by default, but it wasn't when I installed a new computer yesterday. To disable it, run cmd as administrator and execute "net user administrator /active:no". That will prevent it from appearing on the login screen.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Interesting, usually it is disabled by default.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

I'd set up the initial account entering the user name for the password. Then after creating the clerk account, I'd change the password for the intial adminstrator acount so that it does not match the user name.
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

Another option
We simply removing "the" administrator account from the logon screen
This allows you to have it available but not showing on the logon screen
sample process can be found at https://www.petri.com/remove-user-accou ... -windows-7#
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

pete.arnett wrote:Another option
We simply removing "the" administrator account from the logon screen
This allows you to have it available but not showing on the logon screen
sample process can be found at https://www.petri.com/remove-user-accou ... -windows-7#
Does all that registry editing do the same thing as the one-line command rsldwell suggested a few posts back?
rsidwell wrote:But the administrator account should be disabled. I thought Microsoft disabled it by default, but it wasn't when I installed a new computer yesterday. To disable it, run cmd as administrator and execute "net user administrator /active:no". That will prevent it from appearing on the login screen.
We had two accounts on the login screen, "Administrator", and the Misnamed Account from the image.

We changed the Misnamed Account to Clerk and set the appropriate password. We hid the "Administrator" account. The true "Administrator" account requires a password, and we were unable to determine that password. Of course, if someone would like to PM me, . . . [smile]

[Moderator Note: Do not post the "Administrator" password here in this topic.]
rsidwell

Post by rsidwell »

lajackson wrote: We changed the Misnamed Account to Clerk and set the appropriate password. We hid the "Administrator" account. The true "Administrator" account requires a password, and we were unable to determine that password. Of course, if someone would like to PM me, . . . [smile]
If you need to use the "Administrator" account for some reason, use the Clerk account (which has administrator privileges) to set the password to something you know. If it is disabled, the password doesn't matter.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rsidwell wrote:If you need to use the "Administrator" account for some reason, use the Clerk account (which has administrator privileges) to set the password to something you know. If it is disabled, the password doesn't matter.
Duh. I forgot we just could have changed the Administrator password. But, we wanted to disable it anyway. Thanks.

Return to “Clerk Computers”