Computer Reset

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lanrongwen

Computer Reset

Post by lanrongwen »

I just got called as an STS and have been going through the many tech websites. While I've found a lot of useful information, one question has not been answered. We have a computer that has started acting up and after several hours of troubleshooting we've decided it would be easier at this point to re-image the computer and reset it. Is there a recommended way to do this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Computer Reset

Post by russellhltn »

Can you find the disk to reload the OS? Or perhaps this machine gives that option in the setup somewhere? Without a method to re-load, you're stuck until you can order a disk from CHQ.

What is the problem you're looking at? How old is this computer? What was the install date? (I usually look at common folders in various places to see several that list an old date.) If it's 5/5+ years old, I'd push FM for replacement rather then try to fix it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lanrongwen

Post by lanrongwen »

My understanding is that it is only about a year old... I'm not sure if a disc came with it or not, so I have some digging to do. Does the church publish a standard image to be used or are they typically just a vanilla windows install with their software loaded on top? I do IT for a living and so doing a rebuild almost sounds easier than fixing it from the issues they are facing...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think the image is rather vanilla.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

This post at https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p108628 might offer some help on where to obtain the necessary image.

The image is specific to Clerk computers, without all the other rubbish that comes with an off the shelf copy.
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

Call MLS support and they can provide you with a link where you can download a Windows 7 image

Return to “Clerk Computers”