Latest new computer setup

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Latest new computer setup

Post by craiggsmith »

Set up another computer this weekend, Dell 7010. Been a while; smallest regular PC I've ever seen. Normally my first step is to do the Windows updates, but since we can't do that manually any more I just waited a bit. But nothing happened so I proceeded with the Sophos install. It took forever, longer than it's taken in a long time, and had errors. But by the time it finished I got a Windows update, so I just went through those. Close to 10 restarts I think. Eventually the Sophos issues cleared up so that was good. So next time I'll know to just leave it on for a while until the first Windows update appears before doing anything.

I make a number of various settings changes, but among them are the following; would you still recommend these?
1) Turn off Windows Defender
2) Uncheck Use Sharing Wizard

Also, one of the updates put on IE 10; do you recommend going to IE 11? It's listed as an option we can accept in the IEM software.

What is the consensus on Java? I remember people saying we didn't need it, but then it seems I ended up having to install it anyway for something.

Any advantage to installing the Xerox printer software that comes with it? Windows finds a driver on its own. Since it's a pretty basic printer I wonder; it takes a long time to install!

Do your FMs give you a power strip or do you buy them on your own, or just not use one? I've always had to buy one on my own.

I'm having a problem with the mouse. Worked fine when I first started up, but then I decided to move things around and had to unplug it. Did that with the computer on. I've never had a problem doing that before, but this time the mouse wouldn't work when I plugged it back in. It kept trying to reinstall the drivers but never finished. So I shut down and restarted to no avail. Then I shut down and unplugged it (supposed to solve this problem) and then restarted and at first it still didn't work, but after about 10 minutes it started working. Then I decided to move things around again. Shut down, unplugged the computer, unplugged and replugged the mouse, restarted, waited 15 minutes, and it still doesn't work. I'll try again later, but any ideas?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
drepouille

Re: Latest new computer setup

Post by drepouille »

I configured two Dell 7010 computers last week. I thought I had installed all the Windows Updates on Wednesday night, but even more came down over the weekend, causing multiple reboots.

The instructions say to set the local network to "Work" but I set it to Public instead.

I installed Chrome, but not Firefox or IE 11. I did not install Java or Flash, but I did install Adobe Reader 11, Picasa, and CutePDF. I allowed the computers to detect the printer and install an appropriate driver automatically.

Our FM had provided several "relocatable power taps". I have complained that the FM is supposed to provide surge protectors, and he is willing to work with me if I just tell him how many I need.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

FMs will provide you with surge protection power strip(s)

Computer Equipment

"Church-owned computer equipment must be protected with surge protectors."
which may include, but is not limited to, desktops, laptops, tablets and computer screens
includes MLS desktop and FHC desktops and other church group's computer devices, see the policy for details from "Meetinghouse Technology Policy", view the section 4.14 policy https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... lang=eng#4
4.14 Surge Protectors and Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPSs)
4.14.1 Church-owned computer equipment must be protected with surge protectors.
4.14.2 Surge protectors are to be paid for using FM budgets.
4.14.3 FMs determine if a UPS is required in exceptional circumstances. FMs may consult with ICS to determine if there is a need. Where required, FMs purchase and install UPSs.

If for some reason you need a surge protection with data and coax cable protection, ​​​APC Performance SurgeArrest 11, Mfg. Part: P11VNT3 | CDW Part: 1423404, Data Line Protection, Analog phone line for phone/fax/modem/DSL (RJ-11 connector), ​​Network line - 10/100 Base-T Ethernet (RJ-45 connector), Coaxial cable for CATV/SATV/modem/Audio-Video (coax connector)

Staples Item IM1Q07240, Model P11VNT3, web retail $43.09
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I make a number of various settings changes, but among them are the following; would you still recommend these?
1) Turn off Windows Defender
2) Uncheck Use Sharing Wizard
I'd imagine that Sophos takes care of the first, but if not, I would. Having two anti-virus things can be bad. I disable all sharing, so the second would apply.

craiggsmith wrote:Also, one of the updates put on IE 10; do you recommend going to IE 11? It's listed as an option we can accept in the IEM software.
I'm leery of IE 11 at this point as I don't have much faith in the updates coming down. There's another thread on that.

craiggsmith wrote:What is the consensus on Java? I remember people saying we didn't need it, but then it seems I ended up having to install it anyway for something.
MLS has it's own private copy. Unless you're doing FamilySearch Indexing, I don't think you need it.

craiggsmith wrote:Do your FMs give you a power strip or do you buy them on your own, or just not use one? I've always had to buy one on my own.
The old policy was the stakes buy their own, but FM replaced any damaged equipment. I always though that was strange. I see that's been changed.

craiggsmith wrote:I'm having a problem with the mouse. Worked fine when I first started up, but then I decided to move things around and had to unplug it. Did that with the computer on. I've never had a problem doing that before, but this time the mouse wouldn't work when I plugged it back in.
That should be fine with USB mouse. If you continue to have trouble, I'd suspect a bad USB port or a bad mouse.

PS/2 mice are a different story. I've never had one work right if it's plugged in after power up. Most of the time it shouldn't cause lasting problems, but I know the old Packard-Bells (remember them?) would tend to blow a fuse and mouse/keyboard was dead until a solder-in fuse on the M/B was replaced.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

drepouille wrote:I configured two Dell 7010 computers last week. I thought I had installed all the Windows Updates on Wednesday night, but even more came down over the weekend, causing multiple reboots.
Thanks. Same here; I let it sit a while Saturday night and thought it was done but Sunday morning got at least two more.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

pete.arnett wrote:FMs will provide you with surge protection power strip(s)
4.14.1 Church-owned computer equipment must be protected with surge protectors.
4.14.2 Surge protectors are to be paid for using FM budgets.
Awesome, thanks, I've let our FM know.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote: 1) Turn off Windows Defender
I'd imagine that Sophos takes care of the first, but if not, I would. Having two anti-virus things can be bad.
I thought so too, and it doesn't complain, but it's still turned on.
russellhltn wrote:I'm leery of IE 11 at this point as I don't have much faith in the updates coming down. There's another thread on that.
I saw that. Thinking that in the last couple months things may have gotten better, but who knows. It's interesting that IE 10 is still listed in the IEM offerings even though it installed automatically.
russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:What is the consensus on Java?
MLS has it's own private copy. Unless you're doing FamilySearch Indexing, I don't think you need it.
Given how often Java updates I'm happy not to have to worry about it.
russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:I'm having a problem with the mouse.
That should be fine with USB mouse. If you continue to have trouble, I'd suspect a bad USB port or a bad mouse.

PS/2 mice are a different story. I've never had one work right if it's plugged in after power up. Most of the time it shouldn't cause lasting problems, but I know the old Packard-Bells (remember them?) would tend to blow a fuse and mouse/keyboard was dead until a solder-in fuse on the M/B was replaced.
I tried several different ports, and first thought it was the mouse until it started working again. I'll bring another in and try it. I was actually thinking about bringing in a PS/2 mouse just so I could use the machine. I used to have a Packard-Bell; actually liked that machine. Luckily never had that problem.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:What is the consensus on Java?
Given how often Java updates I'm happy not to have to worry about it.
Yeah, unless you really need it - don't install it. It's just another update headache.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

drepouille wrote:I did not install Java or Flash
Any other thoughts on Flash?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I don't have any objections to Adobe Flash Player. I just didn't bother to install it on the two admin computers I set up last week. I figure if it is needed, the clerks will install it.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Clerk Computers”