Can I install free software?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can I install free software?

Post by russellhltn »

charly3358 wrote:About the free software I was basically trying to get a feel for installing anything that is freely available, including things like maybe AVC or Freemake video converters or AVG or others not mentioned above.
Setting aside the disagreement of "Church-approved", there is something you need to be very careful about: Many "free" programs are free only for personal, non-commercial, home use. You need to make sure it's free for use in a church setting. Many of them require a paid license for non-personal use. That calls for a careful reading of the ELUA. For example: Free AVG ELUA says "solely for your personal use and not for purchase, sale or delivery of any product or service to a third party or other commercial or business purpose, if not explicitly stated in the terms of using the Software otherwise."

I'd say less than half of all "free" software is free for church use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”