Install questions - other software

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Install questions - other software

Post by craiggsmith »

I noticed that Windows Defender is running even with Sophos installed. Shouldn't it be disabled?

Is there a reason not to install the latest version (11) of Acrobat Reader?

Should we leave "Install new versions automatically" checked for Internet Explorer?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Install questions - other software

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I noticed that Windows Defender is running even with Sophos installed. Shouldn't it be disabled?
I'd think so.

craiggsmith wrote:Is there a reason not to install the latest version (11) of Acrobat Reader?
Not that I know of.

craiggsmith wrote:Should we leave "Install new versions automatically" checked for Internet Explorer?
I can't say as I've seen it make a difference either way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks.

I hate all the other garbage this 3rd party software wants to install.

What's the consensus on Java?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:What's the consensus on Java?
MLS installs its own copy that's invisible, so it's not needed for that.

Office may install it for some of its features.

At one time FamilySearch Indexing required, but I don't see it listed in the system requirements.

If you can avoid it - do. If you have to install it, make sure it's the most recent version.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”