Can't find disk

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
ToponceKC

Can't find disk

Post by ToponceKC »

I have a clerk office computer that was just fine. Now when it is turned on it stalls on a message. Can't find disk. Then gives the option of F1 Or F2. I have looked over everything I can think of to correct this. If you hit F1 it still loads and operates just fine. This machine is an XP operating system. Is there something simple I have missed.
drepouille

Re: Can't find disk

Post by drepouille »

You didn't tell us what message is displayed when the computer asks you to press F1 to continue or F2 to run Setup. Several older computers in my stake are complaining about having low battery power or "options not set" which means the battery has failed and CMOS memory was erased. If that is the message you are seeing, it is time to replace the battery.
If not, try pressing F2 and make sure all the settings are correct, especially the date and time.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
ToponceKC

Post by ToponceKC »

Cant Find disk is what the message says. I have done the F2 and everything is set up. The battery may be something I can look into.
Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

toponcekc wrote:Cant Find disk is what the message says.
I'd check the cables connecting the hard drive, but I suspect the hard drive has died. You might check to see if it spins up like a normal disk or if it clicks or otherwise acts like it has a problem.

Being a XP machine, it's not worth fixing. The STS needs to contact FM to get a replacement computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:
toponcekc wrote:Cant Find disk is what the message says.
I'd check the cables connecting the hard drive, but I suspect the hard drive has died. You might check to see if it spins up like a normal disk or if it clicks or otherwise acts like it has a problem.

Being a XP machine, it's not worth fixing. The STS needs to contact FM to get a replacement computer.
The OP said that after hitting F1, the machine runs just fine. Would that still happen if the HDD had died? Just wondering.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:The OP said that after hitting F1, the machine runs just fine. Would that still happen if the HDD had died? Just wondering.
No, it wouldn't. It does sound like it could be a bad battery causing a bad BIOS setting.

Maybe what it's complaining about is it can't find the floppy drive. Either because that drive has died, or because the BIOS has bad settings that indicate it should have one when it doesn't.

If the time on the computer is still correct, then the battery is probably OK, and he just needs to hit F2 and remove the floppy drive from the BIOS settings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I tend to agree with Russell's first theory, that the hard drive is taking too long to spin up and report it is ready to the BIOS. I had one clerk's computer with a hard drive that was constantly retrying to do something every few seconds, over several years. The system worked, although slowly. So I finally copied the drive to a spare and swapped them. Then I erased the bad drive and tossed it.
The second theory about the floppy drive is also a good one. Either the floppy drive is dead, or there is no floppy drive, and the CMOS settings indicate there is one.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
danpass

Post by danpass »

russellhltn wrote:It does sound like it could be a bad battery causing a bad BIOS setting.

Maybe what it's complaining about is it can't find the floppy drive. Either because that drive has died, or because the BIOS has bad settings that indicate it should have one when it doesn't.

If the time on the computer is still correct, then the battery is probably OK, and he just needs to hit F2 and remove the floppy drive from the BIOS settings.
I've seen this problem a number of times after BIOS settings have been reset to defaults, either intentionally or as a result of them getting cleared due to the CMOS battery getting low. The 5+ year old administrative computers in our stake, have a default BIOS option that indicates that a floppy drive is installed, even though the computers shipped without one. As Russell says, if the battery is good, then just turn off the floppy drive option in the BIOS settings and you should no longer see this message.

Return to “Clerk Computers”