MLS Rights

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kajmaya

MLS Rights

Post by kajmaya »

Is it possible to run MLS without admin rights? Run it on a user account.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: MLS Rights

Post by aebrown »

kajmaya wrote:Is it possible to run MLS without admin rights? Run it on a user account.
Not completely. There are challenges with MLS software updates if the account doesn't have admin rights.

This has been discussed many times on the forum. You might want to review: In my mind, the bottom line is that the official installation instructions tell us to create a single administrator-level account for running MLS, and I haven't heard of anyone who has successfully run MLS (including software updates) on any other kind of account. I certainly understand the common security principles that would lead you to want to run MLS under a less privileged account, but neither the instructions nor MLS itself were designed that way.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

My thinking is that people who can't be trusted with admin rights shouldn't be using the ward computer at all, and especially not MLS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe the release notes indicated that it could be run without Admin privileges, but the policy was not updated to give us guidance on how to do that.

As for trust, that requires trust in both intent and ability. Yes, people with bad intent shouldn't be leaders, but computer skills have never been disqualifying.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”