9:30pm, Downloading Sophos. 24m to go

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aclawson

9:30pm, Downloading Sophos. 24m to go

Post by aclawson »

Can we please have these mandatory packages hosted on a server that can pump out data faster than 79 KB/sec? Downloading 210 MB of LibreOffice took only about 90 seconds.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: 9:30pm, Downloading Sophos. 24m to go

Post by russellhltn »

Are you talking about download the installer or the update process? I've found that you can shutdown during the update and let it fix itself during the Sunday block meetings.

It's not the way I like to do things, but I'm not going to wait an hour for it to update if I've got no other reason for being there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

The installer.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Oh. I hate to tell you this, but it gets worse. At least it does if you plan to stick around for the automatic update to finish.

"Package 2" is slow.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

10:22pm. Staring at the "Installing Sophos Endpoint Security and Control" screen. No progress indicator of any kind.

Still have MLS to install, plus who knows how many windows updates are waiting (I can see the icon in the system tray, mocking me) on the update. I'm hoping that I'll be able to migrate the MLS over without having to call SLC for a token reset (which really should be self-service through the tech portal).
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

But at least the hard drive LED is flickering at me so I know the system hasn't frozen - though I am unable to move the sophos installing window around so it LOOKS like it is...
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Is there any reason why these machines don't come pre-imaged with Sophos already in place? I just installed a room full of machines for an FHC and they were imaged beautifully. Why won't the MLS/Administrative group image machines before deployment?
djstoddard

Post by djstoddard »

I have a better idea.. how about we switch to a better product!!!???

This is 7+ years of sophos experience from 2005-2012..... Has to be the most bloated... resource hogging AV program I have ever used.

If I had the time I'd use deep freeze and put mls on a thawspace, if it worked like that....

I just received all new computers for my Stake last month, I do Sophos last and lock the PC and leave for the day. Since these PC's have enough ram once it is loaded it seems to do OK... but that installer certainly needs to be updated.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

djstoddard wrote:This is 7+ years of sophos experience from 2005-2012..... Has to be the most bloated... resource hogging AV program I have ever used.
I think you are confusing Symantec with Sophos. The switch from Symantec to Sophos occured in 2010. Symantec was much worse than Sophos.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Clerk Computers”