Offsite Storage of MLS Backups

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
simonawright

Re: Offsite Storage of MLS Backups

Post by simonawright »

With regards backing things up, what about the pdf finance reports we get monthly. Should they be copied to a USB drive as well?

Our area office has said to only print the first 2 pages, summary and signatures, and leave the rest in electronic form.

Am I right in thinking that if MLS has a clean install then they could be lost from the local system? I can't remember who told me this.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

lajackson wrote:
RossEvans wrote:the second USB carried offsite by a clerk, sneakernet style.
We do a monthly backup to a flashdrive that goes offsite, usually right after the HT/VT is updated and especially right after the quarterly report is sent, when HT/VT is most current. As scgallafent said, everything else is current and available at Church headquarters.

If the computer disappears or craters and a new installation is required, CUBS will send the most recent finances, and a Unit Data Refresh will download the latest CDOL and membership information.
One thing I don't understand about that scenario is how the HT/VT data ever gets restored at all, unless you do another restore from that local offsite backup file. In that case, wouldn't the restoring from that latest backup to get HT/VT data overwrite everything else anyway?

And BTW (someone should correct me if I am wrong) I believe two other data elements not restorable from headquarters' master databases (as distinct from MLS backups uploaded or stored offsite) are any custom fields the local unit might have defined and entered, and any non-member spouse records that might be entered locally. IIRC, those elements are supposed to be included in the MLS backup files. I have no actual experience with either, but using custom MLS fields in the future is a possible option for us. (The pros and cons of that option are another topic entirely. Not trying to fork this thread. Just want to note that some units may use them.)
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

In this case the local backup would be restored first followed by a CUBS restoral.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

simonawright wrote:With regards backing things up, what about the pdf finance reports we get monthly. Should they be copied to a USB drive as well?

Our area office has said to only print the first 2 pages, summary and signatures, and leave the rest in electronic form.

Am I right in thinking that if MLS has a clean install then they could be lost from the local system? I can't remember who told me this.
My understanding from prior threads is that the PDF finance statements are included in the MLS backup files. That's a big reason those backup files have grown so large.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RossEvans wrote:And BTW (someone should correct me if I am wrong) I believe two other data elements not restorable from headquarters' master databases (as distinct from MLS backups uploaded or stored offsite) are any custom fields the local unit might have defined and entered, and any non-member spouse records that might be entered locally.
That sounds about right for the regular send/receive, but I'd expect that the monthly backup that CHQ does would be just like the backup done by the clerk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:
RossEvans wrote:And BTW (someone should correct me if I am wrong) I believe two other data elements not restorable from headquarters' master databases (as distinct from MLS backups uploaded or stored offsite) are any custom fields the local unit might have defined and entered, and any non-member spouse records that might be entered locally.
That sounds about right for the regular send/receive, but I'd expect that the monthly backup that CHQ does would be just like the backup done by the clerk.
It is a regular backup without the finance statements. My ward's last backup is about 900 KB.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:It is a regular backup without the finance statements. My ward's last backup is about 900 KB.
How hard is it to replace the finance statements?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:How hard is it to replace the finance statements?
I had to replace four months worth. I sent an MLS message requesting the statements and had them on the next Sunday. I have no idea if they would have been there earlier or not. It happened that the request was on one Sunday and the next send/receive was the next Sunday with the statements coming down then.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I'd expect that the monthly backup that CHQ does would be just like the backup done by the clerk.
It is a regular backup without the finance statements. My ward's last backup is about 900 KB.
I sure wish we could do a backup without the finance statements!
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:
scgallafent wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I'd expect that the monthly backup that CHQ does would be just like the backup done by the clerk.
I sure wish we could do a backup without the finance statements!
Maybe I should clarify: My ward's last backup on the server at headquarters is 900 KB. My backups when I'm at the church are the same as anyone else's.

Return to “Clerk Computers”