Update on new PC's from CHQ

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Update on new PC's from CHQ

Post by jdlessley »

pete.arnett wrote:Please call MLS to report your issue ...
Didn't you mean LUS (Local Unit Support) instead of MLS?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

Yes
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Finally got in touch with the GSC; looks like the images are the same ones I got a year ago. Looking forward to lots of updates. :p
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Well, took 3 tries to start the re-imaging -- first missed the boot menu (there was no prompt), then missed another prompt. You have a whole second or two maybe before it goes on and boots to windows. Then it got stuck looking for a file, and I wasn't sure if I missed something so I did it all over again (only took two tries that time). Stopped at the same point looking for the system driver package. This image is for a 580 and 7010, not a 7020. I manually selected the 7010 package but eventually it brought up an error screen for the drivers for several devices. So back to the GSC to see if they can get me a newer correct image.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
danpass

Post by danpass »

craiggsmith wrote:Well, took 3 tries to start the re-imaging -- first missed the boot menu (there was no prompt), then missed another prompt. You have a whole second or two maybe before it goes on and boots to windows. Then it got stuck looking for a file, and I wasn't sure if I missed something so I did it all over again (only took two tries that time). Stopped at the same point looking for the system driver package. This image is for a 580 and 7010, not a 7020. I manually selected the 7010 package but eventually it brought up an error screen for the drivers for several devices. So back to the GSC to see if they can get me a newer correct image.
I have 9 7020s to set up. Since you are already on the bleeding edge on this, I think I'll hold off until you've finished blazing the trail. Thanks for your updates!
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

New Lenovo MLS system has several Lenovo software apps that are not desired
i.e., ThinkVantage Password Manager

Headquaters suggestions
"preinstalled Lenovo software, it can either be ignored or uninstalled via the Control Panel"
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Good news; they added or updated the following page where we can download the images:

https://www.lds.org/help/support/local- ... s?lang=eng

Download is extremely slow however, despite my 50 Mbps connection. Not sure if Comcast throttles it or what.

Frankly I'm not sure that the Church images are anything particularly special; last one I got was just IEM and maybe Sophos I think. The image that came on this computer was pretty clean, the only thing I had to remove was Dell Backup and Recovery. But we'll see what this one is; hopefully it'll be done downloading by morning.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Download failed twice but finally got it. Note that you'll have to format USB drives as NTFS to fit the image on them.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Privately distributing a customized Microsoft OS build is one thing, but a public distribution? It might be OK, but I'm having a hard time believing it isn't violating some Microsoft agreement.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Mikerowaved wrote:Privately distributing a customized Microsoft OS build is one thing, but a public distribution? It might be OK, but I'm having a hard time believing it isn't violating some Microsoft agreement.
Are you talking about the download link in craiggsmith's post? I wouldn't call that a public distribution. It's access controlled by calling. Personally, I just get an access denied message when I follow that link.

Return to “Clerk Computers”