Installing Windows on Dell Optiplex 740

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Installing Windows on Dell Optiplex 740

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Tinker than I am, I would either transplant the old hard drive into the new computer, or I would use a utility to copy the old hard drive to the new hard drive. If the new computer is a different model, I would hope that Windows is able to boot and perform a hardware detection to install appropriate drivers.
I'd try the copy/image route. I'd be concerned that just transplanting the drive could scramble the hard drive and leave me worse off. (Always have a plan of retreat when getting "adventurous".)

But I suspect the "new" hard drive is Win7 and the old machine may only have 1 GB of RAM ...
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drepouille wrote:...I would either transplant the old hard drive into the new computer, or I would use a utility to copy the old hard drive to the new hard drive. If the new computer is a different model, I would hope that Windows is able to boot and perform a hardware detection to install appropriate drivers.
Unless the machines are identical, transplanting (or copying) the old HD to a new PC will make the Windows authentication fail and another key will have to be provided before you can do anything on it. That's assuming it doesn't blue-screen on bootup due to driver issues. The latter can be rectified with a repair install, assuming you have the Windows media on hand, but if you have the media and a valid key, then a clean install would be preferred anyway.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I agree, as long as you aren't doing a fresh install of XP, due to the problems I mentioned with the auto-update client.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:Unless the machines are identical, transplanting (or copying) the old HD to a new PC will make the Windows authentication fail and another key will have to be provided before you can do anything on it.
I've transplanted drives successfully without problems a number of times. But I think in all cases I was transplanting a "Tier 1" (Dell or HP) and moving it to the same make. I think Windows authentication works a bit differently for those.

But as I've posted before, have a plan of safe retreat. Otherwise you may make things worse.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Clerk Computers”