Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Post by aebrown »

erikwhughes wrote:The ICS End-User Productivity team has made the recommendation to Facilities Management to replace XP machines with a Windows 7 compatible machine with the Church-provided Windows 7 image.
Although we certainly appreciate you posting this here, it's not an official priesthood channel for communications. Relatively few people will see this post. Will there be an official announcement made through stake presidents? Or at least in a Meetinghouse Technology Newsletter?

Also, I don't really understand the lines of authority involved, but when you say that the "ICS End-User Productivity team has made the recommendation to Facilities Management" does that mean that the FM Groups are bound by this recommendation (within budget limitations, of course), or that each FM Group has the option of ignoring this recommendation?
erikwhughes wrote:Clerks and STS's need to contact their respective Facilities Manager (Facilities Management ultimately owns the budget and process for meetinghouse computers) to inquire about replacement or upgrades.
Clerks should certainly NOT be contacting the FM. It might be appropriate for the STS to contact the FM, but some FMs will only talk to the PFR.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

WindowsXP

Post by pgm44 »

I read in the internet that Microsoft go to stop supporting WINDOWS XP in April 2014. Do we have to install some other system or can we still use it?

Thanks
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: The previous post was merged with this thread since the topics are the same.}
@pgm44, the discussion in this thread will provide some information and possibly answer your question.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jsfriedman

Post by jsfriedman »

Our MLS computers are 3.5 years old and are running XP. I asked our Facilities Manager for Windows 7 or 8 licenses. He replied not until he "gets direction from CHQ". It would be nice for an official statement of direction concerning support of XP and obtaining Windows 7 licenses not just a hardware replacement statement.

BTW - The Family History Dept. is giving us Windows 7 licenses for our FHC compatible computers and as stated will be replacing any that are not compatible.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The FamilySearch department is replacing FHC computers that cannot run Windows 7, and has purchased Windows 7 licenses for those FHC computers that can run Windows 7. Each stake must submit a hardware/software order form to request these replacements and upgrades.

I called Local Unit Support a couple weeks ago, and they confirmed that there are no plans at this time to upgrade or replace administrative computers before their planned lifespan. Just keep running XP until further notice.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jsfriedman wrote:It would be nice for an official statement of direction concerning support of XP and obtaining Windows 7 licenses not just a hardware replacement statement.

If you scroll up a few posts, you'll see they have a position. But I'm not sure as it's been communicated to FM yet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

They do communicate to FM, but over the years FM has done their own thing with those suggestions. It took nearly 4 years for FM to start actually following the policy (approved and published by the Presiding Bishop) governing the replacement of clerk computers.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
JeffTurgeon

Security Support for Windows XP ENDS 4/8/2014

Post by JeffTurgeon »

We have a Dell computer for the clerk's office that came with Windows 7 but was downgraded to XP when we received it. The license key is still on the Windows 7 sticker on the side of the machine.

We contacted the church tech department asking for an CD so we could return it back to Windows 7 but were told that this is not the plan at this time.

Does anyone know what the plan is since Microsoft won't provide XP security updates past Tuesday, April 8th?
JeffTurgeon

Security Support for Windows XP ENDS 4/8/2014

Post by JeffTurgeon »

Could it be that MLS does not run on Windows 7 or 8?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Four years ago, I don't believe MLS worked with Windows 7, but it certainly does now.

When I called Local Unit Support a couple weeks ago, they told me the "plan" was to keep administrative computers running on XP until the computers are replaced as they age out (typically at the five year point). I have 12 Dell Optiplex 740 computers in my stake, which I installed in January 2010. They will continue to run XP until the FM orders replacements for them next year.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Clerk Computers”