Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible for companies to buy support (at added cost) - like the Dutch government as done. But somehow, I doubt the church has done that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

drepouille wrote:Back in 2008, we were informed that we would not receive new computers for another year, due to budget cuts. While I was disappointed, I understood, and kept the old clunkers running another year. In December 2009, we received a big Christmas present of computers, monitors, and printers.
Interesting, I assume they must have had some budget left over, as they usually get it all at once at the beginning of the year.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

JamesAnderson wrote:Tomorrow the last 'Patch Tuesday' load will be released. However, reports via Sophos' 'Naked Security' blog indicate that Microsoft will still support the Windows Security Essentials portion of XP for another year. So we've got some time.
Interesting, as a message just popped up on my machine right now saying both OS and Security Essentials support has already ended.

If Vista hadn't been such a dud companies probably would have upgraded by now. I suspect Win7 will have to stick around longer than planned as well as companies don't seem to be upgrading to 8 very fast.
erikwhughes
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by erikwhughes »

As the Windows Product Manager in ICS, there is awareness of Microsoft's XP End-of-Life. Many enterprises, including the Church still have XP running on some computers in the organization. Until these computers are replaced, ICS will continue to manage them centrally and will continue to secure them. For users needing support on Windows XP, Local Unit support will continue to offer support; however incident resolution in some cases may require a cascade to Windows 7, the currently supported platform for meetinghouse computers.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Erik,
I support that decision. The 12 OptiPlex 740 administrative computers in my stake are four years old, and they all run XP, with XP license keys on them. It doesn't make sense to spend any money on these computers before they are due to be replaced at the end of this year.

At that time, the FM could decide to replace them with new computers, or to add memory and Windows 7 to them to squeeze a few more years of use out of them. However, as long as my clerks don't use Internet Explorer 8, I don't see a problem with running XP for the remainder of this year.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:as long as my clerks don't use Internet Explorer 8, I don't see a problem with running XP for the remainder of this year.
We'll have to see. Keep in mind the computer shares a network with all the devices that members bring to church. What happens depends as much on what new malware comes out as much as what the clerks do.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jkentner

Post by jkentner »

The clerk userid also has Admin rights, so just because they use a browser other than IE8 doesn't mean they are necessarily any less susceptible.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jkentner wrote:The clerk userid also has Admin rights, so just because they use a browser other than IE8 doesn't mean they are necessarily any less susceptible.
Getting past the browser is the first task of drive-by malware. With IE8 not being updated, that becomes easier.

adam_welles

Windows XP end of support

Post by adam_welles »

Hello Brother en,

Currently all the computers in my ward are running of off Windows XP. Microsoft has stopped support of Windows XP effective April 8, 2014. Does anyone know if the church has any plans on how to phase out Windows XP?

Thanks...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Windows XP end of support

Post by aebrown »

adam_welles wrote:Currently all the computers in my ward are running of off Windows XP. Microsoft has stopped support of Windows XP effective April 8, 2014. Does anyone know if the church has any plans on how to phase out Windows XP?
I moved your post into the existing topic for this issue. Review the discussion here for answers to your question.

Return to “Clerk Computers”