Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
drepouille

Re: Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Post by drepouille »

Since this thread is in the Clerk Computers forum, and not the Family History Computer forum, allow me to bring this thread back on topic. In my stake, I have 12 administrative computers, all of which are Dell OptiPlex 740s running Windows XP. The one in the YSA ward was installed in 2007, and the FM offered to replace it in 2012/2013, but I told the FM to wait until the other 11 computers were five years old, and then replace all 12 at the same time.

With the demise of Windows XP, the FM is replacing the YSA computer this year, and the other 11 computers in the 2015 fiscal year, since they were delivered in December 2009, and put into service in January 2010. It is a slow and painful process, but there is movement.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

For what it's worth, our FM group had budgeted to replace a computer for the other ward in our building and is being done now in February. Howver, we just received notice from them that the rest of the computers in the stake still running XP (including ours) will be replaced in June under the "XP Initiative", which I can only surmise is extra money to remove the rest of the computers running XP during this year.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mfmohlma wrote:Howver, we just received notice from them that the rest of the computers in the stake still running XP (including ours) will be replaced in June under the "XP Initiative", which I can only surmise is extra money to remove the rest of the computers running XP during this year.
Yes, I got a similar inquiry from my FM Group. Fortunately, all the XP machines had been replaced already.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mfmohlma wrote:Howver, we just received notice from them that the rest of the computers in the stake still running XP (including ours) will be replaced in June under the "XP Initiative", which I can only surmise is extra money to remove the rest of the computers running XP during this year.
I certainly hope that this "XP Initiative" is more widespread than just your FM Group. I would mean all new boxes for our stake this year, so I understand the cost concerns. But hey, sooner or later . . .
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:I certainly hope that this "XP Initiative" is more widespread than just your FM Group.
I received an similar inquiry two weeks ago from our FM folks asking if we still had any clerk XP PC's around. We didn't.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danpass

Support for Windows XP being discontinued

Post by danpass »

mfmohlma wrote:For what it's worth, our FM group had budgeted to replace a computer for the other ward in our building and is being done now in February. Howver, we just received notice from them that the rest of the computers in the stake still running XP (including ours) will be replaced in June under the "XP Initiative", which I can only surmise is extra money to remove the rest of the computers running XP during this year.
Our FM group received an e-mail from the Meetinghouse Facilities Department (MFD) on Feb 6th on this subject, and forwarded it to both our Stake President and our PFR. The key points of the letter are:
  • Supplemental funding for an initiative to expedite the replacement of local unit computers that still run Windows® XP has been approved. The objective of the supplemental funding is to replace these machines with new computers running Windows® 7 by the end of June 2015.
  • Areas will be asked to submit a qualified list of computers to be reviewed and approved at Church headquarters.
  • The submitted list must only include computers running Windows® XP that are not already scheduled for replacement and included in the 2015 Annual Plan.
  • A new standard MLS computer (Lenovo® ThinkCentre® M73 Tiny) has been selected with discounted pricing for the US and Canada. This will be the only device that can be purchased with initiative funds in the US and Canada. The computer includes only the computer, mouse, and keyboard.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

As a followup, our FM group received an email this week stating that June 30th is the deadline for computers running XP to be replaced, that after this month there is a possibility that MLS will not work and continuing to use Windows XP could put the church's financial information at risk.

That last bit is a valid concern with the demise of support for Windows XP. I wonder if there really are changes to MLS coming that also require the upgrade to Windows 7. In any event, our FM group has to report by the 30th that all computers running XP have been replaced. The email impressed them enough that they asked me to make the 200 mile trip to one of our units this week, rather than wait until July when I would normally be there.
Biggles

Re: Wireless Survey of church building with Netspot

Post by Biggles »

lajackson wrote:That last bit is a valid concern with the demise of support for Windows XP. I wonder if there really are changes to MLS coming that also require the upgrade to Windows 7. In any event, our FM group has to report by the 30th that all computers running XP have been replaced. The email impressed them enough that they asked me to make the 200 mile trip to one of our units this week, rather than wait until July when I would normally be there.
Whilst checking the Help Centre yesterday, I noticed that MLS is scheduled for another update at the end of this month.

Maybe because of some of the changes listed there, that might be a reason for concern with XP?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Wireless Survey of church building with Netspot

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:\Maybe because of some of the changes listed there, that might be a reason for concern with XP?
Nothing jumps out at me, but the timing sure seems to point to a correlation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Clerk Computers”