Office 365 for Nonprofits

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Office 365 for Nonprofits

Post by aebrown »

xenserve wrote:...significantly superior to ... Skype (unless you buy a skype subscription to allow multiple users).
Actually, Skype recently changed their free license to include group video calls (up to 9 simultaneous participants). I know that's not the point of your post, but thought I'd mention that one clarification.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

xenserve wrote:such capabilities as OneDrive for Business (which will be fantastic for collaboration between units and the presidency (not financial data tho, that is against policy))
Nit-pick: I'm pretty sure I can find policy against membership data as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
xenserve wrote:such capabilities as OneDrive for Business (which will be fantastic for collaboration between units and the presidency (not financial data tho, that is against policy))
Nit-pick: I'm pretty sure I can find policy against membership data as well.
I'd say it's much more than a "nit-pick." Given the policy against storing any membership related data in the cloud, it's difficult to imagine what else the units and presidency would have to talk about in this "fantastic collaboration."

Meetinghouse Technology Policy, Section 4.8:
  • "4.8.1 Information about members, donations, and financial transactions is confidential and must be protected from unauthorized disclosure."
  • "4.8.4 The use of cloud-based services for storing and/or backing up MLS or any membership related data is prohibited."
xenserve

Post by xenserve »

Yes correct, MLS data is not allowed on any cloud storage (membership or financial), however that is not the primary benefit from the collaboration I was referring to. Stake forms, meeting notes, non-MLS related reports and such are just a couple of examples I can think of.

Glad to hear about the change with Skype. Maybe that's something we can leverage for our stake now.
stevengolson

Post by stevengolson »

So early on in this thread, it was stated that "Someone is looking into this, and we will let you know". That didn't happen. It's been over two years. Clearly, no one is looking into this, or perhaps they just failed report the findings back to the thread.

Can someone please provide an update regarding the official research of using Office365 for non-profits?

If the answer is "yes, we can do this, but do not know how to manage, secure, oversee the roll-out, etc." we can support that and perhaps also help. Just don't leave us in the dark because you are not ready to proceed. An update would be appreciated.
athey

Post by athey »

like Steven I would like to know if there been any progress in getting Office for Church units? I am specifically interested in getting licenses for a aregional Family History library. We have a number of systems used by presenters and the Open/Libre Office products invarialbly have problems when prsenters bring their PowerPoint presentations in. I will give the procedure dtailed in the pist reference here but would really like to knwow what the current status on MS Office is.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

athey wrote:We have a number of systems used by presenters and the Open/Libre Office products invarialbly have problems when prsenters bring their PowerPoint presentations in.
For that specific situation, you may want to download and install the free PowerPoint viewer. They won't be able to do any last minute editing, but they will be able to show it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
athey

Post by athey »

For that specific situation, you may want to download and install the free PowerPoint viewer. They won't be able to do any last minute editing, but they will be able to show it.
Thanks, having the PP viewer would help but at least half the time people want to make small changes. The Library Director wants a fully functional version.
beesting

Office 365 for Nonprofits

Post by beesting »

Hi All

Has there been any progress on the above topic. I am a Microsoft reseller and believe we can use non-profit licenses. We specifically want to use Teams. Please let me know if this is possible.

I am open for discussions on this over an email or telephone call.

Kind Regards
Byran
byranbarkley@hotmail.com
+27 79 888 5596
riclop

Post by riclop »

I too am wondering if there has been any update on OFFICE 365 for Nonprofits. I would like my Bishopric to use OneNote...

Return to “Clerk Computers”