Intranet Remote Desktop Connection

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
sludgepickle

Re: Intranet Remote Desktop Connection

Post by sludgepickle »

Accessing MLS from the Bishop's office via remote desktop (on same Wifi network) works fine - if the connection fails, doesn't the MLS computer get locked anyway and someone has to login locally again?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sludgepickle wrote:Accessing MLS from the Bishop's office via remote desktop (on same Wifi network) works fine - if the connection fails, doesn't the MLS computer get locked anyway and someone has to login locally again?
The problem is anyone on the wifi network can get into the computer. The computer is named with a standard name, and by policy has a standard name and password. Odds are I could walk into your chapel, pull out my laptop and jump on your computer. And from my experience at work, I could take over your connection. Which means MLS would already be open and logged in.

As such, I consider remote desktop to be insecure in a church setting.

I'd also point out remote access is prohibited by the new Meetinghouse Technology Policy, Section 4.9.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

The link you provided says that remote access IS authorized provided a set of criteria is met. Frustratingly, though, as STS I am not allowed to read the complete policy - the link that ends with "meetinghouse-remote-access-software-standard?lang=eng" is blocked to me - "You are not authorized to access this page." You would think that an STS would be allowed to see what software is authorized, but...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:The link you provided says that remote access IS authorized provided a set of criteria is met. Frustratingly, though, as STS I am not allowed to read the complete policy - the link that ends with "meetinghouse-remote-access-software-standard?lang=eng" is blocked to me - "You are not authorized to access this page." You would think that an STS would be allowed to see what software is authorized, but...
I noticed the link given in section 4.9.5 of the Meetinghouse Technology Policy points to "preview.lds.org". On a hunch, I removed preview and got Remote Access Software. But at this time, it still doesn't get you very far.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:I noticed the link given in section 4.9.5 of the Meetinghouse Technology Policy points to "preview.lds.org". On a hunch, I removed preview and got Remote Access Software. But at this time, it still doesn't get you very far.
Yes, I think the "preview" subdomain in the link was just an accident. In any case, I can see the article with or without the "preview" and it is the same.

The article says that the Church Purchasing Department has not yet approved any remote control software yet. So at this point, that means that according to section 4.9 of the new policy, no remote control is authorized, since using software approved by the Church Purchasing Department is one requirement.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

My suggestion: authorize hamachi and then use RDP.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Since the goal is to move MLS functions to Clerk Resources, I don't expect that remote control will ever be authorized.
sludgepickle

Post by sludgepickle »

As of last week the plan is officially to move all MLS functionality (does that include financial? not sure...but the email did say "all") to lds.org's "Leader and Clerk Resources" section. When that is done, this whole discussion is a moo point (like a cow's point, it doesn't matter) (yes I know it's really 'moot')...

Anyway, in the meantime, I was using RDP to get into the clerk computer from the Bishop's office next door, which worked great until last week when I noticed the computer in the office is now on a different network than the wireless devices...so I can't RDP into it now. At least I don't know how to cross networks like that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sludgepickle wrote:I was using RDP to get into the clerk computer from the Bishop's office next door, which worked great until last week when I noticed the computer in the office is now on a different network than the wireless devices...so I can't RDP into it now. At least I don't know how to cross networks like that.
You might want to review 4.10 of Meetinghouse Technology Policy. I don't see a distinction between remoting from next door or from "outside".

Frankly, I don't like seeing RDP turned on at all as it makes it trivial for anyone who knows the password to access the machine. Not very secure.

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

sludgepickle wrote:As of last week the plan is officially to move all MLS functionality (does that include financial? not sure...but the email did say "all") to lds.org's "Leader and Clerk Resources" section. When that is done, this whole discussion is a moo point (like a cow's point, it doesn't matter) (yes I know it's really 'moot')...

Anyway, in the meantime, I was using RDP to get into the clerk computer from the Bishop's office next door, which worked great until last week when I noticed the computer in the office is now on a different network than the wireless devices...so I can't RDP into it now. At least I don't know how to cross networks like that.
Likely the computer has a static IP Address, you could add a Static IP in the additional Wireless range and get it just fine. If that is what you choose to do.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Clerk Computers”