Software For Erasing Stake Computers?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
ccmichaelson-p40

Software For Erasing Stake Computers?

Post by ccmichaelson-p40 »

According to the policies I've read, the Stake Technology Clerk must erase stake/ward computers using a specific software package but the software name is not mentioned. What software should I use? Can I download it from the net?

Thanks,
Cameron
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

Discontinued Unit Instructions

13. Scrub the hard drive of the computer (with Free software from internet, or you can use Eraser (16 bit) or Eraser (32 bit)) and reuse it for a new ward in your stake. If there are no new wards without computers in your stake return it to FM group to use in another stake or ward.
It seems to me that you can use any utility that will Obliterate the sensitive data.
cherishj

Post by cherishj »

Yes, you can use any free disk scrubbing software, but there is software available to download from the MLS website, mls.lds.org. It can be found under Additional Local Unit Software. You will need a password to log into this website. It is sent out to stake clerks periodically.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Go to http://mls.lds.org
Enter with your ward or stake unit number and password.
Go to Additional Local Unit Software
Download Eraser (16 bit)orEraser (32 bit) softwares.
Use it to erase Stake computer guided by the software instructions!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At one time the church provided the software package, but asked that you let them know each time it was used (I assume to track the license.) The last two replacement computers I got didn't have any scrubbing software. I'm guessing this changed when the FM group became the point of contact for replacement machines.

I've resorted to a couple of free programs:

Secure Erase is one I'd like to use, but only seems to work on newer drives. I couldn't use it on a old FHC computer I was scrapping.

So I had to resort to Darik's Boot And Nuke.

Both appear to be sufficiently secure and are free at least for non-profit use. I'm sure there are others.

(Dang I'm slow! In the time it's taken to draft this reply 3 others jumped in!)

Return to “Clerk Computers”