WWLT and sharing computers with missionaries

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
chmsant

Re: WWLT and sharing computers with missionaries

Post by chmsant »

I can't stress enough how much deep freeze is a lifesaver if your missionaries are using your FHC computers. Up until a year ago, we were not using deep freeze and I'd have to re-image the computers at least every six months. Finally got fed up with all the work that I yanked the missionary's access to the FHC w/ Stake Presidency approval.

Since the deep freeze upgrade I've had zero issues and the machines are always ready to run.

As for using Clerk machines, I sure hope not. Given the prior experiences I REALLY do not want to go back to the days of cleaning up messes. Now... if MLS goes to the web and data doesn't need to reside on the local machine, I'll go for it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cswadner wrote:I can't stress enough how much deep freeze is a lifesaver if your missionaries are using your FHC computers.
Perhaps we might petition for the use of deep freeze on administrative computers, as well. There will not be a Family History Center at every meetinghouse where there will be missionaries working.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cswadner wrote:I can't stress enough how much deep freeze is a lifesaver if your missionaries are using your FHC computers. Up until a year ago, we were not using deep freeze and I'd have to re-image the computers at least every six months. Finally got fed up with all the work that I yanked the missionary's access to the FHC w/ Stake Presidency approval.
I've not used DF on the FHC computers. It does create a few problems. Instead I've opted for locked down patron logins. So far I've run years with no problems. But then maybe my patrons aren't as talented in messing things up.

Now, if I can just figure out who's been destroying mic cables - the pins in the XLR keep getting pushed in. For some reason it tends to show up on the Sunday after a zone meeting..... So yes, I have concerns. We'll have to see what the letter says when it comes out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

russellhltn wrote:
Now, if I can just figure out who's been destroying mic cables - the pins in the XLR keep getting pushed in. For some reason it tends to show up on the Sunday after a zone meeting.....
Maybe something stuck in a socket where the cables are used. Been there done that.
Roland
chmsant

Post by chmsant »

Yes I know I'm bringing back an old thread, but has there been any update with this? All of a sudden I find out today that missionaries have been using my clerk computers all over the stake. Still very leery of this because of issues we've had in the past. I'd send 'em all to the local libraries but due to budget cuts, they are all closed on Monday which just happens to be p-day for the missionaries in the area.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cswadner wrote:Yes I know I'm bringing back an old thread, but has there been any update with this?
I've heard no word.

I'd hope the missionaries would be using a restricted login. I can't think of any reason they need local admin rights.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Given that missionaries are being equipped with iPads, I wonder if the use of clerk machines by missionaries has been abandoned - at least in the US?

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Given that missionaries are being equipped with iPads, I wonder if the use of clerk machines by missionaries has been abandoned - at least in the US?
Although it's true that the process of equipping missionaries with iPads is under way, it is not complete. The most recent official news I can find is in this article from just 2 months ago, and it seems to make it clear that the rollout will take some time -- it is certainly not yet anywhere near complete in the US, and even less in many other areas of the world.

So the use of meetinghouse computers has not been abandoned, not even in the US. Perhaps it has been abandoned in some missions; I have no data on that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:So the use of meetinghouse computers has not been abandoned, not even in the US.
Has the missionary use of meetinghouse computers even started? I've seen no follow-up action or guidelines. And there's been very little traffic in the forums. This is the feel of an idea that was announced and then died before the big roll-out.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:So the use of meetinghouse computers has not been abandoned, not even in the US.
Has the missionary use of meetinghouse computers even started? I've seen no follow-up action or guidelines. And there's been very little traffic in the forums. This is the feel of an idea that was announced and then died before the big roll-out.
It's only one data point, but missionaries in our area have certainly been using meetinghouse computers for several months. Fortunately, we have an FHC in our stake center, so they use those computers, which I'm more comfortable with than clerk computers.

Return to “Clerk Computers”