remote access

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: remote access

Post by aebrown »

Mikerowaved wrote:
aebrown wrote:I hope you have a license (which is rather pricey) for Teamviewer. It can be used for free only for personal use, which does not apply to the Church.
That may be debatable. Here's a quote from the TeamViewer FAQ:
Well, that's interesting, but the binding agreement is the EULA, which in addition to the "private use" phrase also uses the terms "personal use" and "private computers," which would seem to be more problematic in the Church context.

But regardless of how we might choose to parse these words, I would hearken back to the LDSTech broadcast which specifically mentioned TeamViewer as software we should not use on clerk computers. That seems to me to settle the issue.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aebrown wrote:But regardless of how we might choose to parse these words, I would hearken back to the LDSTech broadcast which specifically mentioned TeamViewer as software we should not use on clerk computers. That seems to me to settle the issue.
Agreed. :)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Mikerowaved wrote:
aebrown wrote:But regardless of how we might choose to parse these words, I would hearken back to the LDSTech broadcast which specifically mentioned TeamViewer as software we should not use on clerk computers. That seems to me to settle the issue.
Agreed. :)
Me too.
We'll look for alternative (VNC?). I'm sure that Open Source or Free (as freedom, if I by something I want to be able to do what I want with that good) software it's available.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:We'll look for alternative (VNC?).
The problem with VNC is that it requires a inbound connect for the computer being controlled. The firewall would have to be opened up. Not easy to do. For ease of use, it needs to be an outbound connection on both sides meeting at a server.

Let us know if you find anything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

russellhltn wrote:Let us know if you find anything.
I've found tightVNC as Windows server (all Church's Pc has Windows).
As client there is tightVNC viewer. A java program so it works in any OS with java installed.
For Linux I've tested vinagre.
Being a p2p protocol it require the server IP to connect.
If Church Pcs has a dynamic IP (Internet IP of course) it's mandatory the use of a DNS service that take care of the changes.
There are many of such a service on Internet.
I tested tightVNC only in my home network, soon I will test it in the real world! :cool:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:If Church Pcs has a dynamic IP (Internet IP of course) it's mandatory the use of a DNS service that take care of the changes.
And since the connection is being made from the outside in, the church firewall will block it.

If the connection is being made from the inside out (to a pass-though server) then you don't need a firewall exception. Nor do you need the IP address or Dynamic DNS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

russellhltn wrote:And since the connection is being made from the outside in, the church firewall will block it.
I'll check with FM guys. Since Church statements allows teleassistence, I think it will be possible forward port 5800 and 5900 for that purpose.
TeamViewer use port 80, but we can't use it. So we need another solution.
I'll check if there are other softs that use port 80 to communicate.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:I'll check with FM guys.
FM has nothing to do with it. It's GSD.
marianomarini wrote:Since Church statements allows teleassistence, I think it will be possible forward port 5800 and 5900 for that purpose.
Lots of luck.
marianomarini wrote:TeamViewer use port 80, but we can't use it.
TeamViewer using it when making a outbound connection. To most firewalls it looks like a web browser. The problem with most other solutions is that they require allowing a incomming TCP/IP connection - something that firewalls and routers are designed to block by default. The direction of the connection is everything. I'm not talking about who initiates the action, but which software initiates the TCP/IP connection.

rgdlm

Post by rgdlm »

MLS support uses something to access remotely. I have had them hook up to a Ward computer and do work on it.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

rgdlm wrote:MLS support uses something to access remotely. I have had them hook up to a Ward computer and do work on it.
Yes, over the yeas they've used different tools to accomplish this, but the licensing and methods used are only for their use, not ours.

Return to “Clerk Computers”