Configure New Clerk Computers?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
stevemurfy

Configure New Clerk Computers?

Post by stevemurfy »

Hello - We just received new clerk computers. What needs to be done with these machines to get them up and running? I'm assuming they are imaged and that I just have to - unbox, plugin, install printer, export MLS from old computer, import to new computer... Am I close? :)
Thanks for any help
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Configure New Clerk Computers?

Post by russellhltn »

Are you the STS? The setup is his responsibility - at least to oversee it.

There is a set of instructions for setup in clerksupport.lds.org.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
stevemurfy

Post by stevemurfy »

Thank you for the information.
For others that are looking for the same information - https://www.lds.org/callings/melchizede ... r?lang=eng
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

After reviewing that article, I was interested in the opening statement
When a Church unit receives a new computer, it will come preconfigured with tools that allow Church headquarters to remotely manage and secure the machine. It is therefore important to use the image the computer ships with instead of building one.
Following that Statement are sections of Install Instructions including top-level items:
(After walking through a typical Windows OS install wizard, name computer, user account etc..)
--Install the latest Java Runtime
--Install the computer management software (TEM)
--Install the local unit security software (Sophos Anti-Virus)
--Set up optional items.
----Install any additional applications you downloaded earlier such as Adobe Reader, Open Office, CutePDF, and Google Chrome.
--Uninstall unused software.
----Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer (Lenovo machines)
----Bing Toolbar (Dell machines)
----Windows Live Essentials 2011 (remove all components)
----Windows Live Mesh ActiveX Control for Remote Control

What exactly is the image that is coming with these computers? The start of the document is a pretty strongly worded admonition not to use your own image, but the image that comes with the computers doesn't seem to provide any kind of image that I'm familiary with, like already having software installed, etc...

I get that much of the software changes and is out-of-date pretty quickly, but if I had to roll out the 13 clerk computers I receive a couple years ago with this method it would take a very long time.

For that matter, why aren't the steps basically, restore all their documents, restore MLS, and Install TEM.... Select from the list of software you want to install and leave the computer on for a couple of days and it'll all be installed for you by the Management Tools.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:What exactly is the image that is coming with these computers?
The last computer we received barely had an OS on it. I do not think the instructions are correct.

If the Church thinks we are receiving an image on the computer, they might wish to speak with their vendor(s).
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

Good thread. I'm happy to see that many of you have discovered and are using the clerksupport.lds.org site. As an FYI, mhtech.lds.org is an alias that will take you directly to the Meetinghouse Technology portion of the site.

My group took over responsibility for the Clerk Computer about a year and a half ago. That was right about the time the Dell 580 and Lenovo M77 started shipping. We asked the vendors to leave as much bloatware and other software out of the image as possible so that it would ship with a "clean" OS. The only thing we did to the image was pre-configure the Windows Update settings to point to the Church's server instead of Microsoft's server. When a clerk computer checks for updates the first time, the first update it installs is Tivoli Endpoint Manager (TEM) which is the Church's Desktop Management tool. From that point forward, we are able to manage patches, deploy software, remote control the computer, etc. The only thing you will eventually see is the circular blue icon in the system tray which is the remote control agent. You don't currently see the management part of TEM or need to do anything with it. It's just there doing the work it needs to do.

This is what I was referring to when I posted instructions asking you to use the Church image since it comes preconfigured. It's very minor and not something you really see, so I understand that it doesn't appear to be doing anything. To be honest, I think that's exactly how you and I would like it to be! We want the management tools to be as transparent and minimal as possible so that they don't interfere with your ability to use the computer.

We are about to release new models of computers, and they will each come with a new Windows image that is similar to what I described above. One difference is that TEM will already be installed from the factory, so it's one step closer to being finished. Setup instructions will be updated, but there won't be many visible changes if any. It will look like a bare install of Windows. Nice and clean.

My long term vision for the Clerk Computer is similar to what JohnShaw mentioned. Plug in the computer, turn it on, select the software you want to install, and then walk away. We are improving our systems on the back-end to facilitate this type of experience. I hope to be able to provide it in the future. As always, I appreciate the feedback. Feel free to send me a direct message at any time with feedback.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

bfromm wrote:...and they will each come with a new Windows image that is similar to what I described above. One difference is that TEM will already be installed from the factory, so it's one step closer to being finished.
Thanks for your participation in the forum. Any chance of obtaining a specific PC model's image should an STS have to replace (or re-image) a hard drive?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

Mikerowaved wrote:Thanks for your participation in the forum. Any chance of obtaining a specific PC model's image should an STS have to replace (or re-image) a hard drive?
Yes, we have the ability to send image disks should a machine need to be re-imaged. I have the following images:
  • Windows XP for the Dell 740 and 580
  • Windows 7 for the Dell 580 and 7010
  • Windows 7 for the Lenovo M77 and M78
  • Windows 7 for the HP 6305
Note that the Dell 580 has an XP image and a Windows 7 image. This is because the 580 was around during the XP days and the Windows 7 days. If we were to send out an image for that model, we would have to verify whether the Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the side of the machine says Windows XP or Windows 7.
jrhallen

Post by jrhallen »

How do we request the image for a computer?
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

jrhallen wrote:How do we request the image for a computer?
If you call local unit support, they can help you with this.

Return to “Clerk Computers”