Sophos Update Issue-Cannot Connect to Server

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Sophos Update Issue-Cannot Connect to Server

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:Sophos on the clerk's computer in my home ward hasn't updated for many months. I think I did force it to upgrade to Sophos 10, but that didn't fix it.
I would let the GSC work it. Something may have been left behind when the computer moved from Sophos 9 to 10. Someone will need to be at the computer to let them remotely log in, though.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I may use my Independence Day weekend to wipe that computer and reinstall Windows. Ugh. The ward clerk doesn't think it is worth my time.
Is that computer running WinXP or WIn7? If it's WinXP, it may be due for a replacement soon. I'd sure hate to go to all that work on something that's only getting replaced in a couple of months.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jakebengtson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jakebengtson »

russellhltn wrote:it may be due for a replacement soon. I'd sure hate to go to all that work on something that's only getting replaced in a couple of months.
Here is a link to learn more about the computer replacement cycle and if your computer could be due for a replacement.

https://www.lds.org/callings/melchizede ... e?lang=eng
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

All administrative computers in our stake are Dell Optiplex 740s running XP, and placed into service around January 2010. So we have at least a year and a half to go.
I have already wiped and reinstalled XP on the stake clerk's computer because of Sophos.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since there is another computer in the room, how about copying an image from the other machine? Much faster.

If you call in a security reset now, then you won't have to fool with it later.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I wonder if cloning a hard drive would confuse Tivoli?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:I wonder if cloning a hard drive would confuse Tivoli?
Probably not, if you change the machine name when you have finished.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This document was intended for FHC computers, but in this case I think it's safe to use on Admin computers.

I'll bet you can do all this in less time then it takes for XP to download and install it's updates. <grin>

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I just spent an hour or so on the line with the GSC. They did a forced uninstall of Sophos, and told me to download and install the current version. The good news is that Sophos Anti-Virus seems to be working now. The bad news is that Sophos Firewall Client service refuses to start. Oh well. I would rather have anti-virus than firewall.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

Hi everybody, let's see if we can get this resolved. After doing some research, it looks like the latest Sophos 10 installer we posted was not packaged correctly. Sophos installs just fine, but the settings it needs to connect to the Church's servers aren't taking for some reason. It's normal for the local path to show until it has been able to register with the server, but we're only talking a few hours not days or weeks.

The steps I'm posting here are for the specific situation we're discussing (you installed the bad package and it isn't updating). I want to stress that this will not be the solution for other units experiencing problems with Sophos 9.x not updating. That issue stems from a false-positive Sophos released last year that caused Sophos to quarantine its own files and therefor corrupt the install. We can post the solution to that problem in another thread if needed.

For the issue at hand, do the following:
1. Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7rarjqrsh17k87/iconn.cfg
2. Copy the file to C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Config\ (replace the existing file)
3. Restart the computer
4. After logging back in, right-click the Sophos icon and click Update now
5. When the update finishes running (it will take a while), reboot the computer

Sophos should now be up-to-date and working properly. Please give this a try and see if it fixes the problem!

Return to “Clerk Computers”