Windows XP end/computer upgrades

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I think sometimes the disk is disguised as something else. Perhaps a "restore" disk with the manufacturer's name.

The last time we received a CPU with a disk, it was blue and as described. We have not received any CDs with any CPUs received in the last two years (four of them).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Oh, now that I think of it, I don't think the last computer I bought for myself had a CD either. The software just nags you into making one.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

No, I'm pretty sure they did not come with any sort of restore disk either. I'll see if I can find anything though.

Some computers have a separate partition on the hard drive for doing a restore, but I don't believe any have that either, but I'll check.

Nowadays it seems you either have to pay extra to get a disk, or make it yourself as you mention.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
drepouille

Re:

Post by drepouille »

rolandc wrote:Clean XP reinstalls usually speed thins up alot, most computers get cluutered up over the years. Nothing like a clean install.
I've done a few clean XP installations on non-church computers lately. You have to manually download SP3, and then manually download the latest auto-update agent. Microsoft is making it more difficult each month for anyone to do a clean install of XP.

All the administrative computers in my stake are due to be replaced in January 2015, but I worry that another round of budget cuts may delay that. If our Dell Optiplex 740 computers have Windows 7 Professional product keys, I may upgrade them between now and April 2014. I already upgraded them all to 2GB RAM in 2013.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
ktchugg

Windows XP end of support

Post by ktchugg »

I couldn't see this topic listed elsewhere so I wanted to see what the plan is for Windows XP in the church units. I have two computers left in my stake that have windows XP and one will be replaced with a new computer next year, the other is two years out. I am curious if the church is going to still stay on Windows XP past the date when security patches are no longer applied on April 8, 2014? Seems like a big security risk to stay on this OS. I would think we should have access to an image to upgrade the OS to windows 7 to mitigate the security holes. Anyone have any feedback of the Church's road map?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows XP end of support

Post by russellhltn »

ktchugg wrote:I couldn't see this topic listed elsewhere so I wanted to see what the plan is for Windows XP in the church units.
Your message has been merged with an existing thread. I'd suggest scrolling up for answers to your question.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Windows XP end of support

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
ktchugg wrote:I couldn't see this topic listed elsewhere so I wanted to see what the plan is for Windows XP in the church units.
Your message has been merged with an existing thread. I'd suggest scrolling up for answers to your question.
A better existing thread is Support for Windows XP being discontinued; it includes comments from a couple of Church employees.
ktchugg

Re: Windows XP end/computer upgrades

Post by ktchugg »

Our local facilities management group sends a new computer on a 5 year cycle for each ward. I have one Windows XP that keeps blue screening so I talked the global helpdesk for a Windows 7 image to download and install to try and fix it. I guess my last Windows XP box will live with security holes that are found for a year until it gets replaced. Microsoft just as with other software providers quit supporting old legacy software on a lifecycle. Windows XP support ends April 8, 2014. So zero day vulnerabilities found will always be a vulnerability.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

ktchugg wrote:Our local facilities management group sends a new computer on a 5 year cycle for each ward.
I think you'll find that most FM groups are working on ways to either replace older XP machines or (if possible) upgrade them to Windows 7, regardless of their life cycle status.
ktchugg wrote:I have one Windows XP that keeps blue screening so I talked the global helpdesk for a Windows 7 image to download and install to try and fix it.
Only machines with a valid Windows 7 COA sticker can be re-imaged with Win 7, but I'm sure the GSC folks went over that with you. Note that blue screens can also be caused by faulty hardware, so a re-image might not not solve your problem.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ktchugg wrote:I guess my last Windows XP box will live with security holes that are found for a year until it gets replaced.
If you go to the link in the post just before yours, you will see that there is something in the works, although we do not yet know what it is. My uninformed guess and personal opinion is that you will not be at risk for a year.

Return to “Clerk Computers”