Windows XP end/computer upgrades

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Re: Windows XP end/computer upgrades

Post by craiggsmith »

Here's the response I received from my FM, who received this from HQ:

"Although Windows XP will no longer be supported by Microsoft, it will be supported by the MLS team and help desk. I don’t know the answer to the security risk, but they would. I would plan on replacing your computers on the regular schedule and not worry about the XP thing."

Really makes me wonder, but guess I can't worry about it. Three I can upgrade, but not the other two (at least not without spending more money than their worth). Guess I have to wait a year. Unless as you say they come up with a solution before then. But how long have they had to figure this out? (That's a rhetorical question.)
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Here is the alert released by US-CERT yesterday on this issue.

http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA14-069A-0

Alert (TA14-069A)
Microsoft Ending Support for Windows XP and Office 2003
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I have two brothers and both are currently serving as bishops; one in West Jordan, UT and the other near Yakima, WA. Last month, they both asked me if I'd heard anything in the forum (or otherwise) about dealing with the older XP computers they still had in service. I told them each to check with their STS, 'cause I heard a rumor the FM groups might have received word to accelerate replacing any XP machines that were too old to be upgraded to Windows 7. About 2-3 weeks later, both reported their stakes had indeed received new machines. Can't say this is happening in EVERY stake, but it IS happening.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

drepouille wrote:Here is the alert released by US-CERT yesterday on this issue.

http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA14-069A-0

Alert (TA14-069A)
Microsoft Ending Support for Windows XP and Office 2003
Interesting that they suggest not using IE. I assume that's mainly because the older versions that run on XP aren't supported any more, as opposed to making a judgement about the overall security of IE.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Mikerowaved wrote:I have two brothers and both are currently serving as bishops; one in West Jordan, UT and the other near Yakima, WA. Last month, they both asked me if I'd heard anything in the forum (or otherwise) about dealing with the older XP computers they still had in service. I told them each to check with their STS, 'cause I heard a rumor the FM groups might have received word to accelerate replacing any XP machines that were too old to be upgraded to Windows 7. About 2-3 weeks later, both reported their stakes had indeed received new machines. Can't say this is happening in EVERY stake, but it IS happening.
Good to hear.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

craiggsmith wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:I have two brothers and both are currently serving as bishops; one in West Jordan, UT and the other near Yakima, WA. Last month, they both asked me if I'd heard anything in the forum (or otherwise) about dealing with the older XP computers they still had in service. I told them each to check with their STS, 'cause I heard a rumor the FM groups might have received word to accelerate replacing any XP machines that were too old to be upgraded to Windows 7. About 2-3 weeks later, both reported their stakes had indeed received new machines. Can't say this is happening in EVERY stake, but it IS happening.
Good to hear.
Oh you lucky people :D

We are already a year overdue on the replacement cycle! Our FM stated that if they had any money left in their budget at the end of this year, we MIGHT get our PC's changed!
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I can't remember exactly when our ward computer was due for replacement (based on the 5-year cycle) but I didn't think it was going to be this year. Then, presto! A couple of weeks ago a new computer arrived with instructions on how to set it up and return the old one. We are now on Windows 7 with an amazing 8gb of RAM and a 500gb hard drive. Woah!
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

8GB, nice! I just talked to HQ and they just finalized the budget to replace the XP machines. Communication will be going out soon. They will probably be staggered throughout the rest of the year though.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mrrad wrote:...with an amazing 8gb of RAM and a 500gb hard drive. Woah!
Just curious, besides the 8GB, how else does it compare to the one I received in January described in THIS post?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I'll try to add to that other post when I get a chance to go back and get all of the specifications. But I can report that there was a big "AMD" sticker on the cardboard shipping box. Intel NOT inside.

Return to “Clerk Computers”