Stake Laptop?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
failproof

Post by failproof »

drepouille wrote:Since we are not allowed to purchase Microsoft Office for clerk and FHC computers, the same policy should apply to A/V laptops. If Apache OpenOffice (a free product) can't present your PowerPoint slideshow, then you are out of luck.
According to this page on the new lds.org web pages for clerk support, I did not get the impression that MS Office was "not allowed". In fact my stake has asked me to look into purchasing upgraded versions of MS Office as one of my first "assignments" as a newly called STS. They have tried using Open office and found it lacking. The SP has agreed that it would be OK to pursue it if the cost is not overly prohibitive.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

After some inquiries I received some additional information. There is an official but internal Church policy that allows for stakes to fund optional technology, including webcasting and videoconferencing, from their local unit budget. They are hoping to make this available on the web site soon. They are also working with the appropriate group to have the language in handbook 1 clarified.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

These are the issues that we deal with on a regular basis. If it takes EVERY policy create 6 months for All the relevant committees to buy off on language and for translation services to make it available before it can be published - we will continually be doing things that are not clearly spelled out in a document created several years ago.

Here is an example

Webcasting is the standard now for Stake Conferences (Members of the 70 on 2 occasions confirmed that for us by eliminating a 2nd session)
Webcasting is not paid for by the FMG (very specifically in Policy language)
Funds for webcasting come from LUBA

I for one am pretty glad that the members if Farmington, UT didn't wait for SLC to ask them to fund and start having Primary, neither am I unhappy that the Stake President (Harold B. Lee) didn't wait for SLC to tell him how to institute a Welfare system for members of his stake, the list goes on and on, Mutual, YMMIA, YWMIA, Young Single Adults, all programs eventually adopted by SLC for use Church-wide but didn't start at the top but by local leaders using inspiration to benefit the members in their stewardship.

I think the idea that a Stake President can see language in a handbook, apply some logic about the 'current environment' and ask his priesthood leaders what direction should happen - is a good one. It allows the church to grow and adapt as the situation calls for.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

dannykos wrote:This is all very simple. Request is made of stake president to purchase inexpensive laptop. Stake president - being unsure of policy vs needs issues asks his priesthood leader for direction. Repeat as necessary until satisfactory answer to overcrowding solution found.
That was done in our case and both our FM director and Area 70 said to use Stake operating budget to purchase a machine.
JohnShaw wrote:Webcasting is the standard now for Stake Conferences (Members of the 70 on 2 occasions confirmed that for us by eliminating a 2nd session)
Webcasting is not paid for by the FMG (very specifically in Policy language)
Funds for webcasting come from LUBA
I agree. We had a webcast for the area (Multi-Stake training Training, Multi-Stake YSA Fireside and a Stake Meeting/Conference) last Febuary where Elder Scott presided. The Area 70 coordinated with him (or his office, not sure what the mechanics where there) to make sure that webcasting the sessions was ok and (from what I understand), had no problems getting approval.
It made it much easier when we had a storm come through and shut things down. We were able to have the YSAs watch it via the webcast and they were able to watch without having to slog through 3+ hours of nasty winter driving.

For our most recent Stake Conference, the Sunday morning session originated from a branch ~2 hours south of the stake center and was watched at each ward building. We had a few hairy moments getting things working, but by ~15 mins into the session everyone was online and watching with only minor issues.

Aaron Z
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Aczlan wrote:That was done in our case and both our FM director and Area 70 said to use Stake operating budget to purchase a machine.

Not sure why this thread is at 6 pages then? Glad it's sorted.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Aczlan wrote:That was done in our case and both our FM director and Area 70 said to use Stake operating budget to purchase a machine.
Of course the FM Director is going to say that it save on his budget ever time LUBA is used to fund equipment that should be FMs responsibility. FM saves operating expenses and families are required to come up with more funds to send kids to camp.

Return to “Clerk Computers”