Wiping old computer drives - HDDErase

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Wiping old computer drives - HDDErase/Secure Erase

Post by craiggsmith »

I thought I would bring this up again. Any chance of getting HDDErase/Secure Erase listed as an official eraser tool? It uses drive-level utilities and works in minutes instead of hours. Supposedly it is just as secure as DBAN.

On second thought, forget it. It's worked on all the computers I've tried previously, but I haven't been able to get it to work on the ones I'm doing today. I'll keep trying.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Since HDDErase can destroy a hard drive and make in completely unusable (as opposed to simply wiping the data) I would hesitate to use it until SLC confirms that it won't interfere with their disposition of the units.

> The Secure Erase feature shreds all data on the hard drive – including HPA, DCO and bad sectors.

> This is a low level technique – there is a possibility of a conflicting BIOS or an error within the firmware itself which might result in a drive becoming totally unusable (even more advanced techniques may be required to fix).

> Whilst that may be acceptable if you are throwing the computer away, it may not be so welcome if you planned to reinstall Windows afterwards…
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

OK, thanks, hadn't heard that.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:It uses drive-level utilities and works in minutes instead of hours.

It's dependent on a feature in the drive's firmware. I've never had the luck of finding the drive compatible on the old units that I'm disposing of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”