TEM Installation

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
karlbrunner

TEM instal issues

Post by karlbrunner »

I checked all seven computers in our Stake on Sunday the 9th. Five had the program installed and two did not. I downloaded and installed it on both of the two computers. It worked in on case and didn't work in the other case. Are we going to get any further direction on this?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

7 computers in a stake, that means 6 units + the stake... man, how would that be :)
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Neither the Global Service Center nor Local Unit Support can help me figure out why TEM will not install on the stake clerk's computer. All they do is refer me to this tech.lds.org forum for help.
When I run TEM_MLS.exe, I can see the package get expanded into the %TEMP% directory (C:\DOCUME~1\CLERK\LOCALS~1\Temp), and then it all disappears after a few seconds.
When I look at the system event viewer I see:
The Windows Installer service was successfully sent a start control.
The Windows Installer service entered the running state.
The application event view says:
Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\DOCUME~1\CLERK\LOCALS~1\Temp\{BF22A985-F27B-4FF0-80D1-F227A35AE08E}\Agent.msi. Client Process Id: 4932.
Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\DOCUME~1\CLERK\LOCALS~1\Temp\{BF22A985-F27B-4FF0-80D1-F227A35AE08E}\Agent.msi. Client Process Id: 4932.

No splash screen is displayed, as I have seen on the other three computers in the stake center. There is no BES or TEM service running.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've sent a PM to some of the church employees that should be able to at least point us the right way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kteubank

TEM Installation

Post by kteubank »

You may have already seen this article, but see:

http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Desktop_Management_Software

Tivoli is a silent installer, you will not see anything happen on the screen. To verify the installation was successful, look for the BES Client service as outlined in the article

I hope this helps
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Yes, I know it is a silent install. However, I can still track the progress of a normal installation by monitoring the system event log and the application event log. I also monitor the contents of the %TEMP% directory as the installation package is extracted, executed, and then deleted.

Thanks,
Dana
dougj

Post by dougj »

I agree with drepouille. There is nothing in regards to logging that indicates a problem. That's the problem with blackbox installers. If something goes wrong, no one knows why.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dougj wrote:There is nothing in regards to logging that indicates a problem. That's the problem with blackbox installers. If something goes wrong, no one knows why.
That doesn't have to be a problem with silent installers. Any installer can report errors well or poorly (or not at all). A properly written silent installer should log any errors, just like an installer with a user interface should log or report them. I've seen plenty of GUI installers fail with no error or a message that tells you nothing.

That said, it's certainly unfortunate that the TEM installer doesn't seem to leave any hints as to why it failed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dougj

Post by dougj »

There's a difference between a blackbox and a silent process. A silent process has no user interaction whatsoever but should still provide messages at lower, non-interactive level. A blackbox process is completely hidden, often even from developers who interface with the process. The blackbox process may accept input and provide output and do something in between but what happens inside & how it's done is hidden at every level. Since this TEM installation doesn't provide any logging whatsoever, it appears that even Church employees can't research the issue.

That being said, is there a resolution to this issue? Does anyone employed by the Church know why this is happening and how to get this to install? Does anyone in this forum?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Doug,

At least minimally, the windows application log shows the install on systems I've logged into, and the windows application log is where I see the error happening. the Latest TEM install has worked for me each time, so I haven't had need to call them.

I'd say we start a habit of calling the GSC on these issues, and if they can't help you stay on the call until they reach someone that can. The only other alternative I see is to ignore the issue.

STS either have to FORCE the issue to be responded to or ignore it. I see no alternative... I'd rather be a valued partner in the process, but I don't see a way to achieve it in the current state of things.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Clerk Computers”