High disk activity today slowing down the computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
rbeede

High disk activity today slowing down the computer

Post by rbeede »

When I turned on the ward computer today to use MLS everything was running very slowly for about the first 20 minutes.

Running perfmon showed disk read activity ranging from 47% - 600% even though I wasn't running any intensive disk applications.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I thought it might be related to Sophos or something else running updates. There were no running Windows OS updates, but I didn't get a chance to grab what other processes might be using so much disk I/O for so long.

After 20 minutes the machine seemed to return to normal with disk read activity reaching 0% (idle). Just curios if anyone else has seen this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I suspect Sophos decided to do a full scan.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Sophos has been busy, sent them the payload in a spam email Friday and it took until Saturday to get back with me on what they found, that one spam had three pieces of malware in that payload. That's long for them to reply and it shows how nasty this spam payload may have been.

Had no problems reported to me at the FHC this afternoon, no reports of overly sluggish computers on startup, they took the Sophos updates normally, no other issues noted. Those all run XP SP3.

Return to “Clerk Computers”