Windows Admin Group Problem

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
LakeyTW

Post by LakeyTW »

RussellHltn wrote:Uh, that sounds like a security weakness right there. Because if anyone cracks that password, then they have access to more then just local unit machines.
I agree, but either way it should not be disclosed.
kd7mha

Desktop Restore

Post by kd7mha »

RussellHltn wrote:Something to think about, is Desktop 5.5 does come with a recovery setup. It's the first thing that comes up after the BIOS and before the Windows logo. However, I've not NO idea just what it will do. It might fix your problem, it may undo all of MLS and the other Post Desktop 5.5 too. I really don't know. It may be something to try when you have the CDs in hand and nothing to loose.
The recovery setup image is the same image that is used during the initial setup of the Local Unit Computer.
It will remove all information on your C:\ drive and start over. your D:\ drive will not be changed.

If you put in the cd's and follow the original instructions all information on your D:\ drive will also be wiped

make sure you have a current backup of MLS before restoring the Image

You will need to reinstall

1. MLS
2. Local Unit Security Software
3. Additional Local Unit Software
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kd7mha wrote:The recovery setup image is the same image that is used during the initial setup of the Local Unit Computer.
That's correct if you haven't made a backup image. If you've done a backup, then MLS will "roll bacK to the time of the backup. Both the program version and data.

I found this out the hard way when someone invoked the "recovery" feature.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Following each new rev of MLS, I take the opportunity to save a fresh backup using the imaging utility at bootup. That way I never run into a problem of trying to install a recent financial backup on an outdated MLS rev, should a forced image recovery ever be needed. There's no policy I know of to keep the image updated. It just seems like a good idea to me.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Are you saying that in Desktop 5.5 there is an option to write a current image? I had not even thought of that. I always figured I would reimage and then reinstall the latest version of MLS, along with backups.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:Are you saying that in Desktop 5.5 there is an option to write a current image? I had not even thought of that. I always figured I would reimage and then reinstall the latest version of MLS, along with backups.
Yeah, but it goes by real fast on boot-up, just before XP starts to load, so if your monitor is still warming up you'll probably miss seeing it. It prompts you to hit a particular function key (I forget which one) to bring up a simple menu that allows you to either save or restore an image.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Are you saying that in Desktop 5.5 there is an option to write a current image? I had not even thought of that. I always figured I would reimage and then reinstall the latest version of MLS, along with backups.

Yes, there is a backup option that is available for just a couple of seconds right as the computer is starting (after the POST, and before Windows loads). It does seem odd that it is not documented. The backup is mentioned in the Desktop 5.5 instructions:
... A hidden partition that contains a backup of the operating system. ...
The hidden partition allows the operating system to be restored, if necessary,
without losing or damaging any backup or archive data the unit may store on the
D: drive.

but there is never any mention of how to update this backup to contain a more recent image. Clearly a few people have figured it out. It's not difficult -- you just have to select the Backup option in the brief window of time it's available at start up.

But you have to decide if you want to use it. By doing a new backup, you are giving up your totally clean image of the C drive, so you will have no way to get back to that state without reimaging the whole system, thus wiping out the D drive as well (which of course you would backup before reimaging :)). But capturing a more recent image would save you a lot of work, if you ever needed to restore it, as you would have all the drivers installed, as well as the current version of MLS and any other applications you may have installed in the meantime. I suppose there's some risk that you will capture an image that has some problem, and regret that you no longer have a clean image, so it's not an obvious decision -- you just have to weigh the risks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Ok, I know what you are talking about. I just didn't realize I could save an image if I wanted to do so. I think it is one of the arrow keys, actually, but I will have to look it up. I do not remember that the key displays on the screen, even if the monitor is warmed up. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just for others following along, the option is a blue screen that comes up between the BIOS screen and the WinXP startup screen. There's a small, two item menu in the top left corner. Because of the way it's drawn, it's not immediately apparent that it's a menu. And you only have 3 seconds to decide what to do before the default is auto-selected.

If during this menu, you hit down arrow, the menu selection changes, and the timer stops, so you can take your time hitting the Enter key to go into the menu.

You'll then be presented with a DOS text menu that gives various options, all reasonably explained. That's where you'll find the imaging backup and restore.

Given the size of the backup partition, I'm not sure just what it will backup. I know MLS gets backed up (and wiped out on a restore). I think Desktop does as well (I could be wrong). "My Documents" is set to a location on the D drive so it's safe. But if you've been saving MLS backups to the C drive, they'll probably be wiped out too. So if you save MLS to the hard drive, make sure it's to the D partition.
alaimalojo

Re: Windows Admin Group Problem

Post by alaimalojo »

i want to install app to all computer for self reliance classes

Return to “Clerk Computers”