Windows 7 Upgrade -- DandC89 Account But No Password

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
jbgillam

Windows 7 Upgrade -- DandC89 Account But No Password

Post by jbgillam »

My SP asked me to work with the PA Philadelphia Mission to close some tech gaps in the mission office. One of the gaps, normally a quick fix, was to upgrade a machine from XP to Windows 7. With the Church's July 2010 disc and the docs in hand, a friend who was helping me got started on the upgrade this afternoon. Everything went as planned until the end of the process, when we were presented with a single account, DandC89 (presumably local admin), but we were given no password for it in the docs or elsewhere. The docs and included screenshot called for an account in addition to DandC89 to be created but it wasn't present and of course we had no rights to work a solution on our own.

We called the GSD at 4:45pm Mountain time but they were already gone for the holidays and will remain out until at least Tuesday 10am Eastern time. I hate to leave the mission shorthanded until then. Thoughts on a solution?

Regards,

Brian
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've seen that account with the "Desktop 5.5" Image that was sent out to wards and stakes (but is no longer used or distributed). I'm not sure if it's even used. I've not done a WinXP to Win7 upgrade as I've always stated with a new machine, or at least a clean disk.

You might Google around for how to get though the process when you don't know the password. I'm guessing that DandC89 might be THE local administrator password rather then just another user in the Administrator's group.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I do not know about mission offices, but when you are asked for a password to DandC89 you are loading an image that is not intended for local unit (ward/branch/stake) administrative computers.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Which disc do you mean when you say "the Church's July 2010 disc"? I haven't heard of any disc generally distributed in that time frame. Was that simply a Win7 upgrade disk, or some sort of disk image?

The DandC89 account is an account used by Church personnel for administrative purposes -- it's not a local admin account as you surmised. They will NOT give out the password. But the machine should have already had a known local admin account, and simply upgrading to Win7 shouldn't have removed that account (but of course applying a disk image would).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

With xp, to see the local admin account you might have to start in safe mode.
jbgillam

Post by jbgillam »

The disc is white with the Church's logo on it, and included the date of the release (July 2010) and a warning that the upgrade process will wipe the drive. The Mission Office had stored in a binder with other discs produced by various software makers.

So if the GSD won't give out the password then the only option is to attempt to re-install? And if that doesn't work again, what next? Install standard Windows install from, for instance, my personal Win7 disc at home as triage and wait for the Church to send us an "official" install?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jbgillam wrote:The disc is white with the Church's logo on it, and included the date of the release (July 2010) and a warning that the upgrade process will wipe the drive.

Clearly it's a image. So what's missing is the instructions. You could give GSC a call. Hopefully they have the instructions or know who to send you to. However, the group you need to talk to may not be open until Tuesday.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

GSD will remote the desktop and set a userid
Thanks,
:cool:Your Fellow Member,
Pete Arnett
Sunny South Florida, USA

Return to “Clerk Computers”