Update on new PC's from CHQ

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Re: Update on new PC's from CHQ

Post by craiggsmith »

You have to log in with your LDS account and have the proper role to access it.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
drepouille

Re: Lenovo M73 Tiny - The New MLS Standard System

Post by drepouille »

pete.arnett wrote:It appears that the Lenovo M73 Tiny system has been chosen as the new standard system to be ordered for MLS clerk systems.
All new orders for Lenovo M73 will come with the Church-approved Windows 7 Professional operating system
We replaced 2 Dell OptiPlex computers in Nov 2014 because one was over 5 years old and the other one was stolen. The new computers were the Dell 7020.

We recently received 9 hp Compaq SFF computers, and one Lenovo Tiny. The FM told me that the 9 were purchased with his normal replacement budget funds, while the one was replaced with funds from the special program that targets replacement of all Windows XP computers. That was weird, because all ten old computers were OptiPlex 740 that were purchased at exactly the same time, around Dec 2010.

The FM told me that the Lenovo was purchased specifically for a certain ward, and I was not allowed to install it in a different ward. I told him that I could really use that Lenovo in one of the four clerk's offices that do not have a wired Ethernet connection, but he remained firm. OK, I will install the Lenovo in an office that is wired. Maybe I will just disable the wireless adapter, since it is not needed.

I have to admit, the Lenovo M73 Tiny is a fascinating little box. I thought the Dell OptiPlex 780 USFF was small, but the Lenovo is amazing.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

By the way, the 9 hp Compaq computers came with an 8GB Kingston flash drive, but the Lenovo had no flash drive and no DVD drive.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Lenovo M73 Tiny - The New MLS Standard System

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:The FM told me that the Lenovo was purchased specifically for a certain ward, and I was not allowed to install it in a different ward. . . .
OK, I will install the Lenovo in an office that is wired.
It's an inventory thing. Ours came with unit names on the outside of the boxes and instructions to install them only in the ward that was marked.

We sent a serial number update back to the FM group for the ones that somehow didn't wind up in the proper clerk's office, and our FM group admin assistant was perfectly cool with it. However, your FM group may not be, so tread carefully.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

craiggsmith wrote:Good news; they added or updated the following page where we can download the images:

https://www.lds.org/help/support/local- ... s?lang=eng

Download is extremely slow however, despite my 50 Mbps connection. Not sure if Comcast throttles it or what.

Frankly I'm not sure that the Church images are anything particularly special; last one I got was just IEM and maybe Sophos I think. The image that came on this computer was pretty clean, the only thing I had to remove was Dell Backup and Recovery. But we'll see what this one is; hopefully it'll be done downloading by morning.
Brother, you ain't kidding! I also have a 50 mbps Cox connection, and yet I have not been able to download the 13GB image for the Lenovo M73 Tiny. The first try only got 10GB. The second try only got 5MB. I don't have much help for the third try. I may have to request a DVD be mailed to me. Funny thing is, the M73 does not have a DVD drive. Luckily, I have an external USB DVD drive on hand.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My fourth attempt at downloading the 13.3GB image for the Lenovo M73 too six hours, from 9 PM Saturday to 3 AM Sunday. The downloaded file is 13.2GB, so I am not sure if I got it all. Maybe later today I will try to unpack the ISO to a flash drive to see if I get any errors. I figure the Rufus utility should tell me if the ISO is incomplete.

Too bad we didn't receive any 16GB flash drives with the new computers. When we received the Optiplex 740 computers five years ago, most came with 4GB flash drives, but a couple came with 16GB flash drives. This time around, we received 8GB flash drives.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I didn't pay attention to the size of the flash drives I recently received, I'll have to check. But I had a 16 GB drive of my own. My image was only 11 GB, so you probably got the whole thing. Normally you would have a .part file if wasn't complete and the iso file would be 0 bytes, but I don't remember, I think I got an incomplete iso file once.

There's no reason for FM not to have included a USB drive regardless of brand. Just a mistake in ordering on their part. Interesting that the Lenovos don't have optical drives any more. A friend of mine mentioned the other how he thought it was odd that software and movies don't come on USB drives yet. It might add to the cost of movies but software surprises me.

I like these small computers, but so far none of the ones I've seen can be had with any power (quad i7 processor for example). They would be great for webcasting or a home media computer.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Just checked and we got 16 GB drives with our computers.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Clerk Computers”